Lock up for Cable clutch?

Hello.

I have fitted an 1100 coil spring clutch to my 750 and it's a cable clutch.

I use a MTC spacer and machined it down to the thickness i needed.

I have fried the clutch ( which was second hand when fitted) so i'll be putting a new set of steels and fibres in but i want to fit a lock up because BOOOOOST.

Has anyone fitted a lock up with a cable clutch?

I'll have to get another MTC spacer or just make a complete new one (It needs to be 57.71mm) to give me the clearance but the cable pull shaft will be too short.  

I can make one, but if there is a longer on out of another model i'll just bang that in.

Any ideas?

10 hours ago, Duckndive said:

Simple answer is no but one from an air cooled 1100 lock up kit would work..Or change the sprocket cover to a blandit 6 set up and work the clutch thru the gearbox..which is more work ...so may be easier to make one.....

Not sure an aircooled operator can be used on an oiler - totally different operation - pull v's push. The GSXR 750 RR's has a RHS  cable clutch but that's a rare / expensive option. Probably a 600 Blandit one may be the right length ....... but the usual trick when adding a lock-up to a hydraulic GSXR is adding a 6mm ball bearing to effectively lengthen the operation pin.

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Not sure an aircooled operator can be used on an oiler - totally different operation - pull v's push. The GSXR 750 RR's has a RHS  cable clutch but that's a rare / expensive option. Probably a 600 Blandit one may be the right length ....... but the usual trick when adding a lock-up to a hydraulic GSXR is adding a 6mm ball bearing to effectively lengthen the operation pin.

Ian I am guessing his 750 has this cover which will take a GSX lifter  as I have one for a project 

CD0E38CA-95E7-40E1-BB26-64697993C0EC.thumb.jpeg.c119d212aa61541dc4e67dadfd252373.jpeg

It's a 1990 750cc engine, "L" i think and the standard cable clutch on the RHS so it's a PULL set up.

Sorry i just assumed that everyone knew what i was thinking :)

Duckndive, is the shaft longer than the STD one? how much longer?

I don't want to convert to Hydro, too much work for not enough gain.

I have a full machine shop so making a new shaft is not an issue, It'd just be nice to use a off the shelf part if i can.

5 hours ago, colinworth79 said:

Yes is it the L/M 750 motor?  Should be able to make something up. Extend the pull peice  that sits in centre of the pressure plate the same amount as you space the cover out. 

Yep that's the plan, the new cover spacer will be 57mm so it needs to be a little longer.

GSXR 1100 assy Clutch spacer.JPG

• Like 1
7 hours ago, latheboy said:

It's a 1990 750cc engine, "L" i think and the standard cable clutch on the RHS so it's a PULL set up.

Sorry i just assumed that everyone knew what i was thinking :)

Duckndive, is the shaft longer than the STD one? how much longer?

I don't want to convert to Hydro, too much work for not enough gain.

I have a full machine shop so making a new shaft is not an issue, It'd just be nice to use a off the shelf part if i can.

It's longer by the same thickness of the spacer....but 57mm sounds a lot I think the oil boiler spacer is about 25mm thick....

That sounds like it'll work DND .. I already have a spacer .. Fitting the 1100 clutch into the 750 required a cover spacer that I machined down to use the standard pull shaft. So by adding another spacer or making a new one at 57mm all I'm doing is adding a standard thickness MTC cover spacer. So the long pull shaft you have should work, can you tell me a model it come off or a part number please? 

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Wow - someone definitely has toooooo much time on their hands LOL!

Its my job, I get paid to draw pretty pictures then make them :)

I downloaded the engine/frame and tank but the rest is mine thought.

Edited by latheboy
Words
3 hours ago, latheboy said:

That sounds like it'll work DND .. I already have a spacer .. Fitting the 1100 clutch into the 750 required a cover spacer that I machined down to use the standard pull shaft. So by adding another spacer or making a new one at 57mm all I'm doing is adding a standard thickness MTC cover spacer. So the long pull shaft you have should work, can you tell me a model it come off or a part number please? 

I still don't think you need a spacer that thick TBH..O.o...you should only need one the thickness of the MTC one...:)

Ok Item on the left is from an MTC / Orient Express Lock up kit for a GSX 1100E "commonly referred to as an EFE....

it is 70mm long measured "as you do a bolt"  from under the head

Item on the right is a stock item from the same model " Suzuki Part No RELEASE RACK (23165-49201)

It is 40mm long measured from the same place.....

if you have the one for your cover its not much of a job to extend it ....  :)

2076822029_LIFTERDSCN2744.thumb.JPG.a4db81df5cda00aa967b1cff0def87a5.JPG             

37 minutes ago, clivegto said:

@DuckndiveHow would you go about extending the standard one ?

Option 1

part of existing one next to the shoulder... Turn up a new section of the desired length ...prep both parts , clamp into vee block or piece HD Angle tack rotate tack rotate weld rotate blah blah...clean up and use

Option 2  

part of existing one next to the shoulder... Cut a piece of stock bar to the desired length +10mm.....prep both parts . clamp into vee block or piece HD Angle tack rotate tack rotate weld rotate blah blah...Bore a piece of bar that's same O/D as the Lifter to fit over the new section and part off to required thickness ....set up on new section leaving the excess length sticking out and fillet weld round it......clean up and use

Simples :)

PS add the cir-clip groove  "but I,ve ran with out one"

Option 3 buy one from Nick Pepper at about £105 + post O.o 

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 1

Perfect DND, thanks i'll look into the EFE one... or just make one then i can still go back to my current set up if needed.

I do need a spacer that thick.

I already have a 19mm spacer fitted just to get the 1100 clutch in as it is thicker than the 750 one so the cover is already out from the case.

By adding a lock up i'll need another spacer, so there will be 2 spacers, or 1 spacer that's 57mm thick.

You can see the spacer here, you can also see my scav pump Colin :) 

In bits on the dyno.jpg