A DVLA Dating Question

gmseed

I have a Jap import GSXR-750F that was clearly manufactured in 1985 by Suzuki's own frame and engine ID system.

Now, the DVLA in their wisdom have the bike listed as manufactured in 1996 on the VC5. Why is that?

I wrote to them to say that this is incorrect as anyone with any knowledge of motorbikes knows it was manufactured in 1985, but being the know alls they are they say that "their records are correct".

It is interesting that the governments own data contradicts itself. If I enter the registration number into their online MOT checker it states a year of manufacture of 1985. But they appear not to be interested in anything I tell them.

Has anyone else got experience of dealing with these arrogant bunch of wankers?

Edited by gmseed
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, gmseed said:

Has anyone else got experience of dealing with these arrogant bunch of wankers?

Yep, I gave up arguing in the end, you find yourself going nowhere fast trying to reason with them, bunch of wankers like you have already pointed out!!

I made several phone calls following negative replies to written applications to get a v5 for an old  gt250x7 that i own, i must have had a different answer to each phone conversation with them. I eventually took the view that some of them are simply arrogant and one or two try to help, but the biggest problem i found is none of them seem very bright! , 

In the end i contacted the vjmc, instant result and im not even a member! it leaves me wondering what are we paying our taxes for?

• Like 1

I would guess that being an import there was no proof of manufacture date supplied when imported so the DVLA takes date of import. But if you can supply documentary evidence they can / will revise the info - remember they don't give a stuff, if its registered on a 96 plate or an 85 plate.......its registered! The classic car world suffers this as cars are being imported from Aus. and SA. - hard to get reliable info even from Ford especially who records were largely deleted soon after model production ceased.

9 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

But if you can supply documentary evidence they can / will revise the info - remember they don't give a stuff, if its registered on a 96 plate or an 85 plate.......its registered! 

not necessarily true! i had a dating cert from Suzuki, they registered my bike with a 77 "R" plate, then took it away and gave me a "Q" after 3 months of me riding around on it FFS.

you will get a different answer EVERY TIME you phone them, if it is a different person on a different desk.

i gave up and accepted my "Q" plate after 6 months of trying, as it got me on the road and not sat in the shed waiting on them to fuck me around any more

Thanks for your comments. It may sound a bit harsh calling them a bunch of wankers but my experience of the British Civil Service is that they quickly forget who it is that pays their salaries and puts food on table in the evening. In my opinion, as a taxpayer, when I say jump they should say how high and tell me I can come down!

A while back I spent several days putting together what I thought was a full-proof case of over 20 pages proving that the bike had to be manufactured in 1985. After nearly a month and a half they write back with a letter consisting of 1 sentence (I kid you not) saying "our records are correct". Absolute fecking timewasters that want taking round the back and shooting.

Then again, I was a punk teenager and have not been able to deal with authority since!!

• Like 1

Ps, they are that good xD that when Miss W went and got a new vehicle, they told her that they cannot put it in her name as they think it's not a real name even after sending copies of passport and birth certificate.

All they are are a bully. >:(

• Like 1

Built the Kat with with the 1127 oil cooled motor about 3+ years ago, the DVLA (sum wits) kept coming up with one thing after the next of why they could not change the V5 to the new engine number and cc, that it's still in the V5 as the old engine xD

It's the same tax category the MOT man is happy to put the engine on the MOT as 1127 and the insurance have insured it with all mods listed (even engine) so who needs the DVLA not me xD

A very big wast of are tax payers money ;)

• Like 1
On 6/9/2018 at 1:58 PM, 370steve said:

not necessarily true! i had a dating cert from Suzuki, they registered my bike with a 77 "R" plate, then took it away and gave me a "Q" after 3 months of me riding around on it FFS.

you will get a different answer EVERY TIME you phone them, if it is a different person on a different desk.

i gave up and accepted my "Q" plate after 6 months of trying, as it got me on the road and not sat in the shed waiting on them to fuck me around any more

And then the 'We don't insure Q plates' Kafkaesque nightmare with the insurance companies starts:banana:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dezza said:

And then the 'We don't insure Q plates' Kafkaesque nightmare with the insurance companies starts:banana:

I didnt actually have a problem insuring the Q, the big problem was trying to explain to my insurer why DVLA took my R plate and swapped it to a Q after my riding it around for 3 months!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, yantosh said:

I have brand new frame, standard suspension,wheels ,brakes etc, I should make 8 points 

I make that 4 or five at most lol 

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
  • the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
  • a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)

You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

• suspension (front and back)
  • steering assembly
  • axles (both)
  • transmission
  • engine

For motorbikes:

• forks
  • wheels
  • engine
  • gear box

Get a Q registration number

DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number if you don’t meet the conditions for keeping the original registration number.

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a Q registration number.

Edited by 370steve
1 hour ago, Swirl said:

If it doesn't have the original  unaltered chassis/frame, it all falls apart

Not necessarily reading the above DVLA doc - big grey areas - 'a new frame to the same specification' which for an EFE would be steel, welded and painted with headstock angle of whatever and integral engine / suspension mounts? It does not say EXACT specification ..... in a court, a good expert witness could drive a horse and cart through that wording!

• Like 1