Dyna DRL-300 rev limiter HELP PLEASE

I have a Dyna DRL-300 rev limiter that I'm trying to fit on my MK1 B12

I have followed Dyna's instructions but must be doing something wrong as all the bike does is turn over when the unit is connected.

The bike runs fine when the unit is bypassed. If anyone has successfully fitted one of these any advice would be greatly appreciated 

5 minutes ago, El_Retardo said:

I have a Dyna DRL-300 rev limiter that I'm trying to fit on my MK1 B12

I have followed Dyna's instructions but must be doing something wrong as all the bike does is turn over when the unit is connected.

The bike runs fine when the unit is bypassed. If anyone has successfully fitted one of these any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Had one on a drag bike and they are fairly idiot proof! Red to 12v side of coils or switched ign 12v, Black to earth and blue and white to the opposite side of coils, piggy backing the extg. connection. Apply 12v to brown wire to make it work.............. not much to get wrong. Do you know if it actually works?

4 hours ago, El_Retardo said:

I was assured it worked and it was from someone reputable.

I thought the brown was only If you were using a quick shifter.

Will give it a try thank you 

Yes that's correct - its my wording that wasn't LOL! (although why you'd want a rev limiter function with a shifter is anyone's guess!)

Have you followed the instructions regarding setting the switches - if pre-owned may be an odd combination?

When I fitted mine to the 12v coil feed at the coil itself I seemed to have issues with misfiring at certain revs so I fitted it to the positive battery terminal for test purposes and it all seemed fine.I then found a spare switched 12v feed wire (from rear light loom) and used that...works fine now...I remember Gixer1460 telling me before that these are more suited to racing bikes with minimal wiring/accessories which could complicate things......I do know however that going round Donington recently the limiter played up due to the lighting circuit fuse falling out lol...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 8:13 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Had one on a drag bike and they are fairly idiot proof! Red to 12v side of coils or switched ign 12v, Black to earth and blue and white to the opposite side of coils, piggy backing the extg. connection. Apply 12v to brown wire to make it work.............. not much to get wrong. Do you know if it actually works?

I have tried the blue and white. But still no luck.

It runs if I piggy back them off the existing ones but obviously this bypasses the limiter.

Still scratching my head

17 minutes ago, El_Retardo said:

I have tried the blue and white. But still no luck.

It runs if I piggy back them off the existing ones but obviously this bypasses the limiter.

Still scratching my head

Piggy backing is correct otherwise the coils get no trigger signal normally!

When piggy backed and limiter is activated, the white and blue wires get internally grounded to disrupt the sparks hence limiting the rpm.

See other thread - come on, get the grey cells working its a 4 cylinder bike that fires one cylinder (power stroke) every 180 degrees - each coil fires every 360 degrees / once every revolution alternating between 1&4 and 2&3.

Easy to tell if you get the DRL300 wrong pulse count - set box to 6000 - if it stutters at 3000, double the count. If it stutters at 6000 - its correct and if it doesn't stutter at 6000 then half the pulses as its trying to limit at 12000!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 6:11 PM, Gixer1460 said:

See other thread - come on, get the grey cells working its a 4 cylinder bike that fires one cylinder (power stroke) every 180 degrees - each coil fires every 360 degrees / once every revolution alternating between 1&4 and 2&3.

Easy to tell if you get the DRL300 wrong pulse count - set box to 6000 - if it stutters at 3000, double the count. If it stutters at 6000 - its correct and if it doesn't stutter at 6000 then half the pulses as its trying to limit at 12000!

I still can't get my head round how it works piggybacking let alone that.

I will give it a try next time I'm free to tinker with it