New guy needing help with alternator

Hi Guys, I’ve been browsing your site for a while and and found it very informative and interesting.

I have 4 Yamaha 2strokes I’ve restored, RZ250, RZ350, TZR250, RD250LC  and something a little more familiar to you all a 86 GSX1100EF.

Ok now to my question, I have acquired a 88 GSX1100F power screen model with a dead alternator and have found a GSXR750 alternator and going by pics it looks the same, the question I have is it possible to swap the drive gear from the “F” to the GSXR one and bolt in?

cheers

Yes there should be no problem swapping the drive gear over.

I don't think there's a difference between em bar the teeth count but just double check the height (stand the alt up & measure its height with either gear on)

Oh & make sure the gear is properly torqued/Loctited on ;) 

Welcome to OSS,

Yes as above, you can/need to swop the gear wheels over, the gear wheel then locates on the oil pump gear which is behind the clutch. It can be a bit fiddley. Put some rubber grease around the rubber seal on the alternator as well. (y)

Edited by wraith

Wow push it in pull it out and even talk of lube hope we still talking about alternators:P

Anyway what a helpful bunch you all are much appreciated, I’ve organized the GSXR one to be sent to me so once here I will see how it works out, fingers crossed as can’t find a “F” one.

will let you know how I get on in a few days

cheers 

Yes did have the thought it may be higher output with the power screen but then it’s not as if your moving it up and down constantly but as you say aimed at touring so other accessory’s  would likely be added. This one has heated hand grips fitted.

The GSXR alternator was sent today so hope to have in a day or 2.

You guys Rock! Alternator turned up and as you said straight swap of the gears. Everything measured up the same so cool and cleaned oil off the threads and loctite to help make sure the nut stays put.

will refit on the weekend as since I had to remove carbs to get at the alternator might as well give them a clean out and check float levels in spec.

cheers

• Like 3

Just letting you know all is well, refitted alternator made sure to push it home before bolting to make sure gears had meshed and can report charging now. Battery had 12.7 volts and with bike running goes up to 14.8.

now to take it for a ride when this bloody weather comes right.