ET planning.

I realised today that it's over four years since I stripped this cosmetically challenged example. o.O There have been a few plans for it from a completely standard restoration to, an anything goes all out modified machine. The trouble is I want to do something as different as possible, like many others no doubt. That lead me to the latest, and now favourite idea. I want it look completely standard/original and modify it as much as I can without anything showing unless you dig into it. It sounds dull, but when you start to look at what can be done I'm liking the process of getting as much in as possible.

For the engine mechanically that'll be head/valve work and a big bore. Fuelling will be to gut the carbs and use them as throttle bodies to fit the injectors into. Ignition will be small stick coils to get rid of the wasted spark set up. Then electrically/electronically it'd be full ECU control and some additional work in that for security, along with LED lighting and a better loom. Running gear is going to be limited, but cartridges in the forks, and some much improved rear shocks will make a vast difference. Frame and swing arm are going to be even more limited, but it should be possible to get a new swing arm made up that looks very similar, but is much more rigid. Wheels and tyres will have to stay standard, but I'm sure the brakes can be improved with a bit of thought.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, wraith said:

There is one of the modern mud wight bikes ( think it a kwak?) That if you are not looking for it could be taken for standard gsx wheels, but will give you the better rubber.

Do like your plans (y) a proper sleeper :D

Thanks, it'll be worth a look then, but the problem with the wheels looking standard is the odd sizes as well as the snowflake pattern. If I'm honest, I'm unlikely to need that extra rubber these days anyway. xD

• Like 1

I like this idea as well but I bet its not that easy to keep some of these things hidden. How far are you going to take it i.e. how "standard " does it need to look to the average peron or to an enthusiast?  Depending on how far you want to take it you could go to newer RWU forks with cartridges in them and the average Joe wouldn't notice. Good Luck with it. (y)

19 minutes ago, NorthernBloke said:

I like this idea as well but I bet its not that easy to keep some of these things hidden. How far are you going to take it i.e. how "standard " does it need to look to the average peron or to an enthusiast?  Depending on how far you want to take it you could go to newer RWU forks with cartridges in them and the average Joe wouldn't notice. Good Luck with it. (y)

As far as I can without getting silly, and by silly I mean spending stupid amounts. I got a price from Maxton to convert the existing forks to cartridges, @£800 including bushes and seals. A lot of money, but the price of USD's yolks etc. to go the 'conventional' modified route and you're soon near that money anyway.

A similar deal with using the carbs to mount the injectors. Whip out everything bar the butterflies, machine up four sleeves and sit the injectors in through where the diaphragms were. As opposed to buying throttle bodies, then spacing them to suit and altering them and/or the boots to get them to fit the head.

I just fancy the challenge really, although I'll probably feel differently about it about half way through. xD :(

• Like 1

Sounds great,

Makes sense ref the carbs / injectors and that way you can keep the standard air-box as long as the fuel rail is out of sight your sorted. Also ref the forks your right sounds like similar money to the usual front end swaps.  Good luck and keep us all posted I'm watching this one with interest.