Slotting sprockets

VJ

How muchdo i need to slot a pair of sprockets to degree them in? 

Looking at degreeing a set of powerscreen cams into a gsx1100g,  hoping to dial in a bit more torque so if anyone has suggested lobe centres to run thatd be appreciated. 

Cheers

Vj

Edited by VJ

Well ive got exhaust cam in, 'by the manual' was 6 degrees retarded, ive got it half a degree retarded now as i ran out of slot but im thinking thatl be close enough.

Not sure what to do with inlet though, aparently 2 degrees retarded adds midrange torque but is the cam profile of the powerscreen cams suitable for that? Ive been reading into 'overcamming' and really baffled myself with the rabbithole lol.

So stock gsxg is 100/104 and stock powerscreen is 104/103, ive put these cams i at 105/104.5 on the basis that i cant be arsed chasing a degree when im using a 100mm diameter protractor as a degree wheel. 

Got over 50 thou clearance on inlet at 10 deg btdc and the same on ex at 10 atdc so im confident itl be in.

For reference of anyone looking at putting powerscreen cams in a gsx1100g: if you just swap the standard sprockets  (roler to hyvo to suit gsxg chain) then bolt them in they time up at 127/98. This will explain why my first engine smashed valves into the piston. Lesson learned, dont make assumptions when building engines.

Cheers 

Vj

• Like 2

Glad you found out why the pistons met the valves first time round VJ. For more torque and better bottom end go for smaller numbers and for top end go for more retarded settings - larger numbers. Standard cams are better when they are close to recommended figures - I had a little play with settings recently and going more than a degree or two away from std wasn't great, too retarded was worse than advanced, at least with advanced you have loads of drive in the first half of delivery.

Yeah its nice to get closure on exactly why it scrapped itself. I may play with timing in the future but probably only tweaking the inlet cam, i cant be arsed with doing both again for a while til i build the spare engine.

Cheers 

Vj