Crank drilling???....

Afternoon chaps after a great weekend at Donny and a couple of wind down days I'm now back into get the other bike sorted for next year!

I have a mk1 BLANDit motor but I'm wanting to use layer Suzuki clocks which use the pickup off the front sprocket.

The current output shaft doesn't have an 8mm threaded hole to allow me to perform such a thing so.......do we think that maybe a local engineering firm could do what I request or are cranks made of that annoying metal undrillium?

2 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

I assume you mean the output shaft, not the crankshaft?

if so, they aren't to bad to drill. Anyone one with a lathe and knowledge of cutting speeds should be able to do it.

yeah, that's what i meant matey, glad someone is paying attention xD

1 minute ago, CockneyRick said:

While still attached to engine o.O

any good engineer likes a challenge ;)

• Like 1

Yes, you can drill the out put shaft, but take it slow (drill speed that is) use lots of cutting past/grease (not the valve past but the drill cutting past ;)

It would be best if you can remove the shaft from the engine and have it done by a lathe, then you know it will be good, true and the right size for the tap thread :)

Just now, wraith said:

Yes, you can drill the out put shaft, but take it slow (drill speed that is) use lots of cutting past/grease (not the valve past but the drill cutting past ;)

It would be best if you can remove the shaft from the engine and have it done by a lathe, then you know it will be good, true and the right size for the tap thread :)

Or a big enough lathe to fit the bandit motor into.....:pimp:

• Like 4

Is the same sort of thing that is on the post 2000 gsx750f speedo take off front sprocket?

If so, its just a bit of steel plate with a tab on it, so the pickup on the sprocket cover has a rotation to reed. So if you used this steel plate and made a extra plate that bolted on the sprocket and the speedo plate.

The only thing is you need to get the aftermarket f/sprocket with the two 6mm holes in it.

Not looked up close behind a b12 sprocket cover with the speedo bit on it xD

4 minutes ago, Gammaboy said:

Why not make up a pickup ring for the back wheel with 3 times as many teeth and run a rear wheel sensor? I imagine you're going to run a speedo healer anyway to correct the speedo.

I could do that but I'm sticking to more what I know, I won't be running a Speedo healer as such, I'll be using later sv clocks with the bot mod in which you can program to do alsorts aswell as adjust the Speedo output

Edited by Sam-Jaffa
4 hours ago, wraith said:

Is the same sort of thing that is on the post 2000 gsx750f speedo take off front sprocket?

If so, its just a bit of steel plate with a tab on it, so the pickup on the sprocket cover has a rotation to reed. So if you used this steel plate and made a extra plate that bolted on the sprocket and the speedo plate.

The only thing is you need to get the aftermarket f/sprocket with the two 6mm holes in it.

Not looked up close behind a b12 sprocket cover with the speedo bit on it xD

Yeah same setup, they have the castlated trigger wheel bolted to the middle of the output shaft.

I could look at making back plate that would bolt onto the the sprocket like you mention, I don't want too much unnecessary weight over that way as I don't want to bugger the output shaft bearing......it am I over thinking...O.o