What’s wrong with my bike?

Kurf

8 hours ago, Suban12 said:

Hopefully carb clean fixes this for you.I presume that you checked valve clearances prior to carb balance?If you are going to the dyno I would make sure engine health is good ie good compression readings on all 4 cylinders,valve  clearances are good and new plugs all around.                                                                                                                                   Did this running problem happen after the bike had sat for a few months or did it get worse as you continued to ride the bike over a period of time?Or are these carbs new to the bike?

Bought the bike as a non runner a year ago. Carbs are new to this bike. 

Valve clearance and compression is checked and ok.

Will put in four new plugs before dyno.

Hope to be close to the solution now.

Need more info Dude. What air filter/filters, are the float heights accurately set ?  It sounds like it's running very rich - are plugs sooty ?. Are the main jets Dynojet ? - they are different to Mikuni.

Before you go to the dyno, make sure the float heights are set correctly - when the fuel level is wrong it will muck up most of the carb circuits and give you endless problems to get the bike running well.

3 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

Need more info Dude. What air filter/filters, are the float heights accurately set ?  It sounds like it's running very rich - are plugs sooty ?. Are the main jets Dynojet ? - they are different to Mikuni.

Before you go to the dyno, make sure the float heights are set correctly - when the fuel level is wrong it will muck up most of the carb circuits and give you endless problems to get the bike running well.

Hi Oilyspanner

float heights are ok. Jets are not dynojet.

Set up is as follows : 40 pilot, 150 main, 2,5 turns out on mixture. Needles in mid position but..... there’s a white plastic ring under each of the clips... makes it too rich probably? ( see pic )

5A45758B-2CA9-4799-B101-98666349DA66.jpeg

3 hours ago, Oilyspanner said:

Oh and K&N pods with 4-1 exhaust 

19 hours ago, clivegto said:

Like this. Have even put tittle washers under the clip to lift them more (2nd pic), Jon Warrngton showed me this trick.

20180606_160502.jpg

20180606_160925.jpg

lifting the clip to the top  -1 places the needle further into the main jet making it leaner in the mid range 1/4 -3/4 throttle by putting washers under the clip your lifting the needle out of the main jet thereby making it richer in this range

Putting two washers under the clip you might as well just put the clip into -3

The washer trick is for when the OEM needle has only one clip position to make it richer

Edited by Lachie04
added detail
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Lachie04 said:

lifting the clip to the top  -1 places the needle further into the main jet making it leaner in the mid range 1/4 -3/4 throttle by putting washers under the clip your lifting the needle out of the main jet thereby making it richer in this range

Putting two washers under the clip you might as well just put the clip into -3

The washer trick is for when the OEM needle has only one clip position to make it richer

+1 the washers will just make it a clip richer

• 3 weeks later...

I am stoopid!

Carbs returned from ultrasonic cleaning and looked like new. Put them back together and checked float heights. Put them back on the bike with pods on and started : #4 was still running colder ( header) and overall bit rough.

I tested the bike without fuel tank for easy acces and to rule out possible problems with fuel tap. But..... forgot to close the vacuüm opening for the fuel tap.... realised we also forgot to do this with previous run on dyno.

As I said : stupid.... but sometimes these things get overlooked when you’re all over the bike chasing problems right? 

Tried to upload a movie on how good she runs now but that doesn’t work. You have to take my word for it.

Next : check whenever there’s time to put it on dyno again ( will first have a go on the road for initial settings )

483F0D65-3CF2-4EE6-A1C7-73D954BC6094.jpeg

• Like 1