Ball bearing turbo's

Hi There! :)

As the voices told me I should be looking for a ceramic ball bearing turbo to fit to my setup, I am looking after some deep dungeons on the internet but cannot seem to find the correct answer which are good options. @Leblowskiis using a Garrett GT2560R which would be great, but what would interest me is which car engines have turbo's like that?

It makes the sourcing of a hairdryer for me a bit easier. I am not looking for very big BHP numbers but just a fine usable turbo with a wide powerband. 

• Like 1

As far as I know there aren't too many cars using ball bearing Garretts from factory. They are mainly aftermarket turbos. Some Subarus use ball bearing IHIs, for example Legacy WRX STi (not all of them, just some year models). So I'm afraid it might be slightly challenging to find good second hand ball bearing turbo for decent money.

IHI vf22 + vf23 are ball bearing turbos, and are really good. Direct replacements for TD04's. The 22 is good for lots of power, the 23 good for decent power and huge midrange. Got on on my spondon, makes 280bhp and 200lbs ft at 15psi.

Only downside is they are really expensive to rebuild if the bearings go.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Arttu said:

As far as I know there aren't too many cars using ball bearing Garretts from factory. They are mainly aftermarket turbos. Some Subarus use ball bearing IHIs, for example Legacy WRX STi (not all of them, just some year models). So I'm afraid it might be slightly challenging to find good second hand ball bearing turbo for decent money.

Cheers, not especially looking for Garrett's, it was just an example. :) 

@MeanBean49IHI vf23 sounds like a very good idea for my likes

For IHI turbos here is a list of different models and their specs:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141476

I think there are some inaccuracies in the specs but at least this gives you some idea how different models relate to each other size wise and which ones have ball bearings.

I have VF34 on my GSX. Works pretty well, about 300rwhp at 1.1 bar and there should be still some reserve available. If you are aiming for clearly smaller power numbers then I would pick something smaller for faster spool-up and stronger mid range.

• Like 1