Headers

So its that time, bends are ordered my new found tig skills are primed and I'm shitting myself lol.

I am using an IHI Turbo so the header turbo inlet is one round hole.

My plan is to fab the outer cylinders to turbo flange then take them off and fab the centre cylinders to flange, then I will be left with two sets with round outlet, half these at this point and weld together. Does that even make sense ?

Can anyone advise is 4 into 1 the way to go or 4-2-1 an easier task ?

Any advise gladly welcomed and get your header pics up.

Cheers Mick

4-2-1 ? .... where do you plan on putting the turbo ?  If up front .... forget about the 421 . If you can manage some tight radius bends for the header, keep the turbo high enough..and tight as you can to the motor for wheel clearance......above the oil for gravity drain..... but if not .... no biggie... use a chamber and pump combo . Purge your pipes while welding as this will eliminate crusty and nasty inside crystalisation of your welds .

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

Edited by no class
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reply No Class your headers are great work as is all your stuff, I am aiming to have the turbo in a similar place to yours.

Its hard to write down what your thinking sometimes lol,  The flange on my turbo has a small inlet only around 44mm so the outer cylinders pipes will be more or less halved at this point.

Now do I do the same with the centre cylinders so they come 4-1 at the flange and I have around a quarter of each pipe at the outside wall and centres merging into each other or do you think merging the centre cylinders into the cross pipes so only two outer cylinders meet the flange is easier for my first attempt ? 

My first one was a 421 with the pipes entering directly into the small area flange, but it was a bit restrictive,  and was prone to cracking. Current pipes exit into a collector cone merged into the turbo flange . . . much better flow and supports the turbo better to avoid cracking. I also used a scrap head to make the welding jig and avoid distortion.

I would use filler with a back purge wherever possible...Fusing (autogeneous welding) may look neat and tidy but you are only melting the two parent metals together...This is not the strongest method especially in the use of stainless...That's not to say you can't fuse weld.I have many a time on exhausts but on a turbo manifold I would recommend filler and purge to avoid nasty oxy-snot on the inside....plus with fusing you want the joins to be perfect...with filler you have a little more lenience on gaps etc.

Now I have said that,the amount of times I have tried to break a fused tack weld only to end up chucking the damn thing across the shed because it wont break :$

• Like 1

I would just like to add to this thread how much of a nightmare merging pipes is my god my heads battered,lol

Has anyone any tips, nuggets of advice gladly welcome.

I am also finding stainless Tig work a twat I know what I want to happen but actually doing it is just not happening deffo more torch time needed.

It does make me appreciate other peoples skills though when you see what actually goes into the job.  (y)

Got my act together over the weekend heres the result Happy with the manifold in general but not my welding Shit is the word that comes to mind,lol

Anyhow its given me good experience for the next one.

New plan use this one to get bike up and running then build a new header at my leisure.

123456.jpg

• Like 3