B12 turbo project

B2BC

picked up a decent low mileage b12 few weeks back been using it as daily runner 

always wanted to have a turbo bandit so sold of few parts and started on it 

engine is stock only a lock clutch installed 

have a spare motor so that's currently in pieces awaiting a rebore for busa pistons will fit this engine just before summer next year 

for now It will be running low boost well hope to anyway 

current setup is around 8psi but ive got a 3psi spring but sure it's wrong size it's a turbosmart 38 spring and my wastegate is tial so will check springs against each other 

so far headers turbo filter ect fitted 

oil feed and return done with a pump for return 

fuel pump and regulator fitted and plumbed in 

plenum and pipework fitted 

need to order a cooler and lines boost gauge and thinking about a fuel pressure gauge 

never done this before so a lot of learning research modification ect ect but sure I'll get there in the end 

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6969.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

• Like 2

Looking good, in a sinikiar situation with my slingshot, 12 motor and being set up for standard pistons, also like you have busa pistons to fit at later date, be interested to see how you get on with fuelling, 117.5 in mine at the minute, going by reading other threads I think that’s a bit on the High side. But will find out soon, will keep an eye on how your getting on , here’s a pic of my slingshot so far, mine was a pete field kit that I bought off somebody after they run it a little while,  hope to see the road this year! 

93C6661A-576D-4299-A9D0-AE42C0C8450B.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Looking good, in a sinikiar situation with my slingshot, 12 motor and being set up for standard pistons, also like you have busa pistons to fit at later date, be interested to see how you get on with fuelling, 117.5 in mine at the minute, going by reading other threads I think that’s a bit on the High side. But will find out soon, will keep an eye on how your getting on , here’s a pic of my slingshot so far, mine was a pete field kit that I bought off somebody after they run it a little while,  hope to see the road this year! 

This kit is also from Pete 

jetting instructions he told me were

115 mains 

stock pilots

2.5 air screws

needles second from top

he said most bandits he turbo use them settings 

Big fall back today 

fitted cooler filled with oil ect connected up fuel tank tried firing it up and realised fuel has flooded and into turbo aswell 

sorted that after few hours engine drain new oil ect 

set pressure reg to 2psi seems to be having problems starting and running when fuel pump turned on can run bike ticks over fine turn fuel pump on starts playing up / cuts out 

think I may have leaky float valves

so will check float height tomorrow and set to 14mm and see how it goes from there

heres a quick vid without fuel pump on 

no video as can't upload wrong format or some shit like that 

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, B2BC said:

Big fall back today 

fitted cooler filled with oil ect connected up fuel tank tried firing it up and realised fuel has flooded and into turbo aswell 

sorted that after few hours engine drain new oil ect 

set pressure reg to 2psi seems to be having problems starting and running when fuel pump turned on can run bike ticks over fine turn fuel pump on starts playing up / cuts out 

think I may have leaky float valves

so will check float height tomorrow and set to 14mm and see how it goes from there

heres a quick vid without fuel pump on 

no video as can't upload wrong format or some shit like that 

on my bandit I lowered the float height a bit and reg is turned right down . I did get the odd problem where it occasionally fire on 3 then 4 th would then come in , I've wired the fuel pump through a relay and operated via engine oil pressure switch so pump only runs when the engine is running and been 100% from then .

• Like 1

rebuilt carbs lowered floats to 14mm

lowered regulator psi 

my fuel pump is wired to kill switch 

I've put bike back together test rode it seemed ok came onto boost around 6k 

double checked my vac feeds took it back out and now like there's fuel starvation can't rev above 3k in neutral can rev bike but rev high say like 9k rpm when revs lower bike will cut straight out  think my fuel pressure gauge reads crap seems to read 3psi when on and not running but the 2psi or there abouts if needle stopped flapping around when bike is running 

Might want to try the float height around 16mm, 14 is a bit high i found, 

You will struggle to get fuel pressure below 2psi, i run mine at 2.5 and its been fine for years. I just have to go over the carbs every 1000 miles or so and re-set the floats, they creep higher with use. Bike starts to get a but fluffy when they get too high.

Another good tip is set your base fuel pressure with the carb supply blocked off, then connect to the carbs and check again. If it drops you have a float bowl leak.

• 1 month later...
On 01/01/2018 at 10:25 AM, Buddy said:

Any videos of this running just bought same kit of Pete for a b12