GSXR KAT

johnr

Guest YoshiJohnny
Just now, johnr said:

i didnt want to fit it till id checked that the carbs werent leaking. dont fret, it will be fitted as soon as im back from the mot man!

:banana:

ok, quick update on this, helicoil kit came today, rpaireed thee thread and put the adjuster clamp on, all nice and tight, chain adjusted. fired it up, took it out for a run. fuck me its nice, quick too. a few niggles but it rolls, and its going to get an mot this weekend. and then a 2000 mile round trip to denmark with the katana club on wednesday... nowt like making hard work for yourself eh!....

kat 11.jpg

• Like 6
  • 1 year later...

ok, so, update, ish, this bike has sat in the shed and other stuff came and went, i put about 250 miles on it last year, its just, near but not near enough.
good things, i love that engine, i like the look and the stance. the brakes are so powerful they make the insides of my eyes hurt. its a kat, 
but on the downside,  the rear suspension is so firm that on anything but the smoothest motorway every straight is a bucking bronco ride of wheelspin and bouncy near hardtail suspension. the wiring is, err, interesting, headlight is probably a whole candlepower, perhaps even two, oh, and the clutch ate itself at 100mph on the m55....
soooooo......

On 6/2/2020 at 7:36 PM, johnr said:

ok, so, update, ish, this bike has sat in the shed and other stuff came and went, i put about 250 miles on it last year, its just, near but not near enough.
good things, i love that engine, i like the look and the stance. the brakes are so powerful they make the insides of my eyes hurt. its a kat, 
but on the downside,  the rear suspension is so firm that on anything but the smoothest motorway every straight is a bucking bronco ride of wheelspin and bouncy near hardtail suspension. the wiring is, err, interesting, headlight is probably a whole candlepower, perhaps even two, oh, and the clutch ate itself at 100mph on the m55....
soooooo......

Looks good very nice though John :)  get the shocks away for a respring/rebuild and have a look for truck light on amazon. A friend fitted one to his BMW 1100GS same size as Kat, loads of light but expensive.   

@johnr as to your headlight, get a Crystal clear headlight off a mr2 mk1 fit that and put a Philips ice bulb in and night becomes day (y)

Dead easy to fit into the Kat or a et.

If you want I've got one here I'm not using as it's for a crack in the glass when I had it on my gs1000, pay the post and I will send it to you and you can try if (y)

ive now got and fitted a toyota mr2 crystal light to it, alongside some other small mods to the undertrays and wiring, switchgear, clocks, exhausts, and a few other small items. i will post pictures when i can get them off my phone.
so, new fairing bracket fitted, old one was fucked, and new crystal headlight, exhausts all wrapped, mostly to cover up the shiney stainless but also cos i repeatedly burned my leg when i put my feet down. new clocks fitterd which should be readable unlike the old ones which tbh werent. slightly wider renthals fitted, better switchgear and new loom in the process of being fitted, undertrays fixed properly as well as a splash guard to stop water from the back wheel going straight up the rs38's, oil cooler pipes replaced with ones not held together with zip ties! satin black with rust effect is the last job to be done. tbh this is just a long and seemingly endless list of tiny fiddly jobs, most of the donkey work was done by the builder and ive no issues with that. ive a set of konis from the 1990s that havent done much miles and are  actually compliant when i sit on the bike, gonna save the ohlins for the yoshi replica....
anyhow, im gonna shove it into thee sunlight tomorrow and take some pics of it and then list what else it needs to complete it.

oh, and new exhaust studs, stainless studs, copper nuts, pipes wrapped in the darkest wrap i could get. battery is lighter cos the undertray was moving round with the batterys weight causing it to bounce off the seat bottom.  wiring is a bit of a rats nest.

kate.jpg

katd.jpg

katc.jpg

katb.jpg

kata.jpg

• Like 1

as part of my plan to get rid of the shiny bling, i thought about painting over the gold annodized r1 yam usd forks, but then had the idea of simply shoving some black heat shrink wrap over the uppers from the seals to the bottom yoke, and then heating it with the hot air gun to shrink it on. sounded a great plan, but the shrink wrap shrunk to resemble a veiny black dildo! ffs. anyhow, i let them cool off then heated them again and eventually the wrap smoothed out and they lost their resemblance to the stock of ann summers !

et voila, le dildofork!

fitted em anyway...

fork1.jpg

fork2.jpg

• Like 1

How you found the new clock's in your pic? 

I found them a pain to wire up and now the ET is running the rev counter is slow to respond to the revs of the bike, O.o but they look good :D

The crystal clear headlight are much better than the standard ones (y) just use a good make of bulb not a cheepo one

Edited by wraith
Add a bit
  • Like 1