GSXR KAT

johnr

I picked this up last week from Barry in Pennicuik. Id gone up to drop off an rgv project for a mate of his, and whilst in the shed drooling over the stuff he is building, it was mentioned that this little kat was up for sale, either one price as it is or another higher price with the few small jobs needed done and sorted.  we went back to katanamanglers and partook of a bottle of rum and then, suitably refreshed (and under mrs katanamangers instruction to get out and let her watch telly)

, we went back to Barrys and the deal was done.i opted to take it as it is, and arranged to com back last week to collect it. i have to say that even though ive a shed full of katanas in various states of dismantling, this bike was the very image of the bike i wanted to build. so, i bought it.
it needs a couple of bits of tinkering, seat is getting swapped for a steve adams covered one, the fuel tap needs a mount and ive got some flatslide cv 38's from a diferent gsxr to fit to it. it needs a silencer mount making up and a soft link for the chain to replace the split link it currently sports, and aside from a blow over with some petrol proof laquer on the tank, its all done and dusted.
bike started life as a kat 1000, engine is gsxr11k, front is r1 and rear wheel is zx9r, swingarm is lovely aftermarket item but im not sure what off. but thats it, every credit to barry for building it, its all his own work, and thanks to katanamangler for putting me up and feeding me!

kat4.jpg

kat3.jpg

kat1.jpg

kat5.jpg

Edited by johnr
  • Like 12
6 hours ago, spondonturbo said:

them rearsets look just what I need. Not many I have seen have the two fixing holes so staggered. Works well with the kat frame and should with an ef frame. What do you think they are from? Cracking bike BTW :banana:

The pegs and pedals (at least the brake side) are Harris. I am not sure about the mounting plates though. One offs?

• Like 1

in my defence............. actually,,,,,,,, i have no defence............. it was a full bottle of kraken, and you werent exactly a non participant in this, i only drank the rum after you had given me single malt....... and i only drank single malt after we ran out of wine........

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

quick oss update on this. the bike has now got trail bars as the clip on's were a bit too crippling for my old bones! (plus im going to denmark and germany on it this year so i need something a bit more upright) im just picking my way through a few little modifications and then its off for its mot.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

just another update on this, as the weather has warmed, its been easier to get down to the shed to fettle with things, nothing major, just a few fiddly little jobs, pip mounting, higher bars, meaning new brake pipes, switchgear wiring extending, mounting various bits and bobs, sealing the tank, setting the carbs, and then shimming the valves which were miles out, requiring every one changing. but now these jobs are almost all done, im waiting for the insurance underwriters to come back to me with a policy addition due to the mods on the bike. and hopefully it will be going for an mot this week.

32508351_10155746054003471_6997480385022001152_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...

ok, so spin forwards to today. its done, carbs were  sacked in favour of a set of rs38's,  new cables and they all work as per spec. all together and ready for the mot man when. bugger! as i put it in gear to take it round the block theres a clunk and the bike lurches, chain goes slack and it stalls. the clutch must have been stuck, but the lurch has spun the ecentric adjuster making the chain go slack. so i loosen it off, set the adjustment level again with the chain tight, but the pinch bolt has stripped, it was on its last thread and thats just come out. so now i need to get an m10 helicoil kit so i can repair the thread well enough for me to go to denmark  next weekend for the european kat rally!

38515460_10155942258503471_5472790217830170624_n.jpg

Edited by johnr
  • Like 1