Removing Front Sprocket Nut

Crass

I need to replace the output shaft oil seal on my 750L Slingy, which would be an easy job if I could get the nut off the front sprocket.  I've tried the bike in gear, rear brake on trick and with a wheel wrench with a socket it still isn't moving, there's too much spring in the chain to get things rock solid enough to crack it loose.  I know it's not properly seized as I only replaced the sprocket about 6k ago and torqued the nut on properly, it came off no problem then.  I tried a bit of heat from a heat gun but no change.  An impact driver would no doubt shift it but I don't have one and I'm reluctant to fork out for something I don't really need.  Any more 'conventional' tricks I could try?  Possibly LOTS of heat?

1 minute ago, canamant said:

I put a piece of wood through the rear wheel and lodge the spoke against the wood against the swinging arm with a bit of cloth to protect it and then use a 24 inch breaker bar on the socket.  

That sounds like a plan (y)

Riding to the bike shop not an option, SORNed for the winter and oil dropped ready for the seal removal.

• Like 1

Buy one of those electric impact guns, 1/2 drive. They aren't that expensive and you will probably end up using it for all sorts. Mine was less than 40 quid and it says it does up to 450 nm. It makes short work of gearbox sprocket nuts, clutch nuts, ss swingarm wheel nuts and so on.

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Machine Mart are selling a Clarke one for £70 at the minute. I used it on the B12 clutch centre. Not locked off, no bits of wood in the wheel. Unbelievable! Well worth the money. 

Same here even got a few impact sockets with it and 2 batteries best money spent in a long time, got it off that website :)

Ditto on the 1/2" electric impact. Cheap and does the job 99% of the time. The other 1% you need a 1" air impact and then when it starts moving it's almost always the wrong part that gives way in the end :| Don't get air impacts unless you have a proper air setup already. Impacts are great for anything that is stuck on a rotating base.

• Like 1

Well this fucker ain't moving!  Tried the wood through wheel, took wheel off and pinned chain around axle and tried that.  Nada.  There's too much spring / stretch in the chain to crack the nut.  Tried heat.  Tried walloping the socket with the breaker bar on the nut under tension.  Nowt.  A new nut is only £14, cheaper than an impact gun I'm unlikely to use again.  I'll dremel it carefully and split it off.  Easy job made hard, doncha love it.

It's off!  I have my reservations about an electric impact shifting that one.  Cut through nut a bit at a time, tried the breaker bar again - nowt.  Repeat several times.  Finally gave in when about 2mm of uncut nut remained, and then because the nut split.  Replacement nut a few quid from breakers, so cheap solution.