1986 gsxr 1100 factory yoshimura race bike

kurt

I am  in the process of assembling a 1986 gsxr 1100 that I acquired about 10 years ago from the original owner who did race the bike in CA for several years.. The story behind the bike is that it was purchased in san jose, CA in 1986 for $5000 and was then sent to yoshimura racing for a $5000 modifiication. Has anyone else heard of this factory racing program?

• 3 months later...

Almost finished with reassembly. Non-stock parts include: Sharkskinz bodywork painted gloss black, 2002 USD front end with 6 pot calipers, EBC rotors front and back, 17 inch wheels, 180 rear tire,  Ohlins rear shock, multifuntion single instrument (needle tach and digital speedo display), Yoshimura exhaust and muffler, modified/reinforced swing arm, Vortex clip ons. Pictures after first ride.

• 7 months later...

No problems so far. I have put on a couple hundred miles. This is the first bike I have with CV carbs. The carbs seem to want to be running over 6000 RPM before they actually fully activate the vacuum slide. You have to roll on the throttle. You cannot just snap it wide open below 5000 RPM. But once the RPM's are there the acceleration is unbelievable. 

GSXR_done.JPG

• Like 2