GSXR Duplex header on EFE

CGT1229

Hello, just registered on this forum. Used to visit the old site often. Live in Washington State. Have an 83 Kat 1150, and 84 1150 ES, both relatively stock and a bit ratty. Done about 25 trackdays on the kat, as I can't afford a trackbike just yet. Last trackday on  8/24, put in 63 laps at Pacific Raceways. Find I'm doing more of these than riding on the street now. However after last track day, went for a short loop and had a rattly ticking noise I thought was the cam chain. Put an APE manual tensioner on, noise is still there, so hoping not a rod or bent valve. Checked the Starter clutch, valve clearances, and clutch nothing seemed wrong. I did discover the crescent moon shaped plate behind the hub was loose, but haven't started it yet. Back  to the original post about header, was just sharing the current state of affairs.

I was wondering if anyone has had success fitting a 2nd gen GSXR  89-92 1100 duplex to a EFE engine? Thanks

These pictures probably won't work.  Regarding the pipe it looks like it might not get under the pan. Have a Kerker hanging next to it and the down pipes look much longer. May have to pull my engine apart again after only 400 miles. Spent a grand on new pistons, clutch, starter clutch, cam tensioner and now this ticking sound. it sounds like it's coming from number 2 cylinder. Dang guess I have to buy new head a base gasket...that was short lived. Will a bent valve show itself when the head is removed? Also I spent a couple of hours reading the starter clutch post by comb and gamma, I could use some extra ground clearanceOPRT_Sun_June_11_2017-1850_zpsamqnkzaw.j

DSCN0825_zpspoenwsme.jpg

• Like 4
On 9/15/2017 at 2:39 PM, CGT1229 said:

Hey Glen (DB) I think it was you mentioning this site recently, is what got me back here.  Thanks.

Here's just a random shot of some previous woes. Been about round 7 with the starter clutch over the years.  A shot of the ES  awhile back.

DSCN0723_zps33856c0d.jpg 

That rod is a perfect candidate for making a bottle opener out of.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Spirit said:

Partner, all I can say is that I wish you well and I also have a GS1150 and an '83 Katana. Any chance you also have an '86 GSXR1100 and a TL-R as well?

No just those two.  I did have a TLS for about 6 months, but traded it off as it was a money pit, and difficult to fuss with FI in my primitive garage.  Ended up getting my old 69 Karmaghia in the trade, my sister have given me awhile back, but I had nowhere to store it in the wet NW so sold it off too.

3 hours ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

I have  second generation duplex pipes on my slabby track bike and I have an EFE  powered kat. I could make some measurements at the weekend and make a guestimate on whether it might fit..

Thanks for that, I do have the  duplex header sitting in my garage, so I could do the same,  just thought someone maybe had already done it.

Cockney Rick,

I don't know how to quote just text, but my starter clutch only has 400 miles on it currently and it was the first thing I checked when trying to determine where the tickings coming from.

It's still making the ticking noise after installing a manual cam chain tensioner, so I guess I have to tear back into it again. Ugh. A mechanic friend yesterday said maybe a valve spring could have been put in  upside down, but I had just done a trackday prior with no ticking during the day.  It did feel a ltttle fluffy surgy in 4th-5th wide open and the plugs looked lean which is weird, because it's the exact set up I've been running for years.

I've only ridden it once after the trackday to merely warm the oil for an oil change, when I heard the ticking sound for the first time. Haven't ridden it since.

6 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Valve springs are ground top and bottom so can be fitted any way up. If you have the Duplex header fitted it could be a small leak past the gasket - they can sound ticky and would also allow a lean run on that particular cylinder. Worth a look or swop to another header for elimination purposes?

Huh, the stock EFE springs have tighter windings on the bottom, when I pulled them out, so I put them back in that way, both the inner and outer springs.

I don't have the Duplex on  the bike and the ticking sound is worse than an exhaust leak sound.

Bummed I have to buy gaskets, as they ain't cheap, especially  with such few miles.

Tighter wind goes to the bottom with the valve springs, as per the factory manual.

my starter clutch did not last long in my GS 1085. I pulled it apart and replaced everything as needed. Red loctite on the bolts and in under 500km it was clanging again. So I made a ignition retard lever, makes starting oh so easy now!

After I did my gs1100esd engine it had a tick, pissed me off as I replaced everything that was out of tolerance. However, the manual cam chain tensioner I tried to install would not work as instructed. So I yanked it apart again. Remeasued the cam chain and sure enough it was within limits. Talked to some of the GSResource gurus and was told to replace it anyways, so I did. Noise gone after that!

I noticed you did not replace your cam chain? Maybe that's it? Was for me anyways.