et flywheel alternatives

berty

When are you going into manufacturing them, could probably sell quite a few.

lovely work.

cheers SRR

It did cross my mind but now I have given away all the secrets the machining is pretty simple so it would be difficult to make any money. However as you live fairly close, if you want to do the conversion & need some material or machining just shout.

Nick

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Because I can't trust my lathe do give me an adequate surface finish, I dropped my spare GSX Starter gear off today at a gear cutting workshop who have the gear for cylindrical grinding - they're going to let me know if they think it's through hardened, if not, it's off for case hardening or nitriding. Recieved my Chinabay stator on friday too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bigger starter clutch - not sure on overall diameters. I've been given this info second hand - don't know if the starter clutch will work with a GSX gear yet, but I'm sure Joe will have a look. Hell, there's probably half a chance a GSX14 starter gear will do the job.

So the issue for GSX14 starter sprag is the GSX14 needs the engagement diameter to be .5mm larger - GSX11 is 52mm, GSX14 is 52.5. Rotor is bigger - 128mm OD, 115mm OD on the stator.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my gear back from grinding and hardening - I think i should have shopped around a bit more to find a cheaper grinder/heat treater - Ouch!

Still, looks mint, is hard as hell and a perfect size/finish. I think i'm going to use the OEM bronze washer, and knock up a thinner washer to sit at the other side of the starter gear between the gear and the sprag/rotor.

Edited by Gammaboy

What did the grinding & heat treatment cost?

I may have to go to see our heat treatment department at work & have a chat with them though I am not sure if it can be done now I have machined mine to the final size.

Making the bronze washer wasn't too hard but I do have a big chunk of bar. Pity you live so far away.

wound up costing ~$350 AUD, so ~170quid-ish - Pretty spendy, but I dont have the machining/heat treatment contacts I used to :(

Should be able to heat treat at final size - that's what they did for mine.

My theory with the other washer is trying to improve the oil feed to the sprag past the sprag segments - the GSXR i assume has a high pressure feed to the the bushing in the centre of it's gear, so probably pushes a bit more oil out to the sprag peanuts.

Yeah, Being in Oz can be a real pain - more so since UK Post cranked it's rates right up.

• Like 1

Bugger - eating it's cams is no fun. I need to spend some quality time with the lathe to get mine sorted... might be after christmas, I've got a timber deck to build :S

Just be glad its summer where you are. Having said that its not exactly cold here either. 12 degrees today. Could have gone out for a ride but 8 bikes & none the road.

• 7 months later...

So, forgot to mention I got this together and sorted. I didn't make up a thicker washer to control end float of the starter gear - I figured the extra mm of movement shouldn't be an issue. I did have to machine up and flame harden a spacer to go between the nut and the rotor. All buttoned up and it's making good voltage, is revvy and feels faster everywhere without being hard to get off the line. I did have to extend the wiring a fair bit on the GSXR stator, but it's not rocket science.

I did have a wierd issue where the inner diameter of the starter gear shrank ~0.1mm when it was heat treated - had to "hone" it with the lathe and some emery to get it back out to a diameter that actually allowed me to slide it onto the needle bearings.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...