adjustable slabby

some nice idea's there, i've sourced where to get eccentric bearing set - from a team who use the same classic frame - they can get a custom bearing set that pulls the rake back by 1 deg. and it fits into the original head stock without any frame mods - not cheap at £120 for a set of bearings, but compared to other options it's well fair, their rider quoted "no longer feels like a chopper" :)

thanks again for all the good info

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, FJD said:

just tell me how do you position these inserts in the frame, so that you are still 100% in line with bike axxis ?

There's no pins to align. The headstock pivots at the bottom on a very close fitting bush and adjusted using the rose joints. This moves a slide through its housing which is connected to the same mounting axis of the bottom end rose joint. Once the desired angle is achieved you pinch up the two axis pins which clamp it all together. There's zero flex or movement  possible. You'd understand more of what i describe if you saw it in person. Hopefully i will have it to use at Pod next Spring.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FJD said:

just tell me how do you position these inserts in the frame, so that you are still 100% in line with bike axxis ?

because there's only 1 or 2 degrees of angle to them, if you're one or two degrees off straight putting them in it means that the steering head will be off vertical by ~ 0.0001 degrees - there's not a fucking frame on the planet that's not further out of straight than that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20.10.2017 at 12:52 AM, Gammaboy said:

because there's only 1 or 2 degrees of angle to them, if you're one or two degrees off straight putting them in it means that the steering head will be off vertical by ~ 0.0001 degrees - there's not a fucking frame on the planet that's not further out of straight than that.

but what sense do they make then, if there´s only so few degrees ?

@Zepp: what you describe is the picture from Viz, but my comment was for the eccentric bearing set.

few degree doesn't sound much  but amplify this over the fork length and it makes a measurable difference ref: trail or wheel base - wheel base makes a notable difference ref: weight distribution

ok so you "modernise" a more classic chassis by fitting larger offset yokes = to reduce the trail - easiest and most common method - do this to something that has say 27deg rake ( typical older than old school) and the additional offset does push the front out somewhat, pull back the rake by 1deg and that does bring the front back in again helping to get the weight onto the front - this is atleast round 3 in the project build fine tweak department