RAU GS1000 Trickframe Racer

Nickel

Hi everybody...

Think it's time to introduce my new project I'm actually on.

Got this backbone frame from a mate, who had it in stock for future projects.
So I'm happy that he sold it to me.

This frame was produced by RAU in the early '80s. It is designed to take a GS1000 lump.

First idea was to put an 1127 ccm oilboiler in, but I think it would be a shame not to use this OSS engine.

DSC_0630.JPG

Back to OSS I grabbed a bigbore GS1000 engine with supposed 1180ccm, Yoshi cams and ported head with bigger valves.

For a first try I used wheels and fork from a katana 1100, but for my taste much to heavy and difficult to get good tyres for.

DSC_1324.JPG

After collecting some parts, this is the actual status:

- oldschool seat unit and front fairing
  - 18" wheels and fork from '87 slabside
  - bigbore lump (needs a rebuild)
  - exhaust manifold from Yoshimura (seller told it is...)

DSC_1497.JPG

DSC_1477.JPG

Would like to cut some pieces off the fairing and seat unit

I'm now waiting for the engine mounting plates from the laser cutter...

Goal is, to build a classic OSS superbike!  (y)

Will keep you updated  :pimp:

• Like 23

Bloody Nora, it's a long time since I've seen a RAU frame. From what I remember they are very similar to an Egli, not sure if that was "inspired by" or an ex employee setting up.

Lovely project you've got and I'm looking forward to updates. Any chance you could push the boat/wallet out and find a pair of "period" aftermarket wheels for it ? 

• Like 1

Egli made these frames years before RAU started it's manufacturing. So I think RAU was inspired by EGLI. ;)

I like those wheels, nevertheless I'm after some ASTRALITE wheels for over years, but never had a chance to get a set. :(

Another option would be a set of PVM wheels, but they are much heavier than the slabside wheels are.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Leblowski said:

Very nice project!! I wonder what happened to your draw through turbobike ?

:$ still in my shed waiting for finishing it

Not easy to get a turbo bike street legal here in germany, that's why I stoped workin' on it, but it's still there.

• Like 1
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, Nickel said:

:$ still in my shed waiting for finishing it

Not easy to get a turbo bike street legal here in germany, that's why I stoped workin' on it, but it's still there.

Could you not import it to the UK, get it registered and ship it back into Germany, or at least the paperwork

So you try to import a german registered bike, get it road legal in Uk and than export it back to germany to have it also road legal?  Sounds like a plan,  but I don't think that it is possible. Because of the existing german registration you will have problems. 

But keep me updated on this.