On 12/21/2016 at 11:00 PM, busa1300 said:

There are are many days I walk into the garage though and think....fuck....what do I have fix this week instead of ride..???..........But the good does outweigh the bad for sure 

Busa, I can soo relate to this! Like you, my family have between myself (13), my wife (5), and my kids (4) (still at home), quite a few bikes lurking in our garage. Besides all the time, and resources needed to maintain all the bikes, there is the question of the yearly licencing fees, as all of theme are titled. O.o. So, there is a point there your hobby can start to dominate your life.

My one neighbor the other day was very surprised to learn that I do not run a bike shop from my home, and that all the bikes are there for our pleasure. ;).   

Edited by Uitenhage
Forgot one of my wife's.
  • Like 2

Oh...so very very true....

I just don't seem to have the time to keep up with all of them....in the process of moving into a new house, and I'm looking at all the bikes and related parts.... I believe it's time to cut back a little, and probably put a couple in the basement living area to keep them from degrading so fast...and so I can see them every day :D

LOL. I too have already asked the wifey how many bikes can I 'display' in the house ;). I even suggested to build one - sort-of - in the kitchen one winter. Lets just say the answer was no on that one. Yes, cut back on the projects. Apart from the titled ones noted above, I still have some projects. Wishful thinking hey O.o. I took my wife by surprise the other day by selling off three projects. It was like she saw a ghost! :D

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

All moved in and getting back to work on some bikes.

I sold the GT750J and it should be in the UK/Devon in a week or so in a container with a couple other Suzuki's.

Needed the $$$ to finance a RG/RZV500 I no longer want to live without....:v

So I got back to work on the Zeel ignition for my VJ23....what a bitch this was to get all soldered up to the plugs, but it's done and hooked up....And the bike still runs:banana:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now for the confusing part....getting it to run perfectly with the computer....O.o

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had a pic of my garage setup and ready with my bikes....but I figured since there were non Suzuki's in it....it would not last long on this thread

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting to be time to settle in for another 4 months of cold weather.....:(

I got the VJ23 to run Ok, and it screams up at the top.....but midrange needs some dyno time yet for enjoyable all around usefulness. Problem is finding a person who will dyno a stroker around here. They will do V-twins no problem....but only if they have pushrods...:stop:

Hibernation mode....

IMG_0055_-_Copy.JPG

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was getting a bit bored sitting in the warm house, and decided to get out in the garage and do a bit of final work on the RGV,...... before spring gets here and my bike is still unfinished.

Time to do the last bits of unrestricting, since I now have all the parts to do it properly. The bike's speedometer runs off the counter sprocket, so that means if I change the 46 tooth gearing the restricted 180 speedo will be off. Luckily there were 357 unrestricted VJ23V models built which had 240 speedo's....and matching 42 tooth sprockets. Needless to say it took a while to locate a speedo....

unrestricted (1).JPG

unrestricted (3).JPG

unrestricted (4).JPG

unrestricted (5).JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Digging into these VJ23 carbs is usually a nightmare, so I’ve been avoiding going into them again to try to get it running just a little better. But riding weather is here, so I had to go in to try leaning it with the needle. Dropped it one notch, and seems much better throughout than it did. Still a bit rich at the very bottom end yet I think. Instead of burning up any more time than necessary, I tried moving  needles without pulling carbs....just pulled off airbox and some hoses/wiring.... It was a tight fit for my fingers but I got them dropped a notch, by doing it the same way I moved my needles for the GS1000’s 29 smoothbores. 

Bit by bit it feels better every time.

15514931-0C16-4E29-BA51-2EFBA7FCCF50.jpeg

FAB7208F-2D92-4362-89DF-15A17D6616C9.jpeg

185D199D-8696-4AE0-9E70-8E7A59EA3733.jpeg

45CEC80B-19FA-4BDC-87CA-042CB2AE69ED.jpeg

• Like 1

Finally had a chance to get a few miles on the RGV to see if the needle change was a help. The mid range feels so much better now, and low range is very manageable...but I feel still the slightest bit rich. Once I'm around 5000rpm it just pulls very smoothly all the way up past redline which feels so intense its hard to describe when I'm passing through the 200kph zone....and beyond.... I really love this bike.....even when the day comes I'm too damn old to get up on it, I'll hang it on the wall as art :P....I like looking at it almost as much as riding it.

IMG_E1903 (2).JPG

IMG_E1905 (2).JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read through it all, fantastic and inspirational. Maybe if I stop drinking, I can get off my arse and get something done too. Naaaaa, I'll probably just move it from house to the shed and still get nothing done. Your attention to detail really makes me want to work harder & smarter.

• Like 1

Checking bike over, making sure it’s ready for the dyno tomorrow. Put new NGK R plugs in and decided to check compression since I have over 1000KM’s on top end now. Before tear down, engine had 140 in both cylinders which I thought was pretty good. But when I checked today I had a hard time believing it...so I double checked.....160/170....

With numbers like that, I’m hoping to get some good numbers tomorrow too 

3678296F-FDE7-44AF-B01D-9F0E98616F69.jpeg

960F437E-F5FE-4F0D-82D9-1FFA40BB8AD3.jpeg

• Like 2

Dyno run today....

The dyno shop owner said his dyno has always read a bit low to several other dyno's in the area. Another shop has a dyno (same dynojet 250) that consistently reads 10% higher.

He has done several back to back/same day dyno runs to prove it to other customers....

With that said, my bike pulled a 60.14 at 12000, with 27.04...best run...

Needs a bit of tweeking in mid range as it appears that it is surprisingly slightly lean. I'm thinking air solenoids should make it as close as I will need.

I ended up running 25% 110VP racing gas and 75% premium.

I am finally satisfied, and I can now move on....

901E7BE3-0EF4-4415-9DE7-A80FD5CB15BE.jpeg

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1