busa pistons

zed

hi just ordered a set of busa pistons for my katana turbo project , can anyone tell me  what the clearances should be when i get it rebored. i would put a new set of rings in but can i use the busa rings or do I need another type because the busa has nicasil barrells, thanks in advance

• Like 1

Old rings will work with a fresh bored / honed barrel as they'll both wear to suit each other (if in spec!) although it can be problematic with a blown motor due to the ring lands being relatively close to the piston crown. Rule of thumb for clearance is 0.003-4" per 1" of piston diameter - larger for racing applications / tighter for road going. If the guy doing the boring is any good, he'll bore and hone to suit each piston in each particular hole and mark them so they don't get mixed up.................or maybe he won't and you can trust your judgement.

• Like 1

The correct clearance is decided by the piston producer and depends from the piston shape, application and material. Busa pistons has to go between 0.035-0.045 mm in a liquid cooled engine. I've decided to go with 0,065mm on mine 1216 and it worked perfectly. No strange sound and no oil smoke when cold. Talking with the engineer that has built the TLR engine that was in the sbk bimota told me that was a reasonable choice.

• Like 1