Turbo bandit

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a TD04 15t turbo taken from a saab 9-5 aero.  Bike is away with Colin Chapman of TPE to make up the manifolds and other hairdryer accessories.  And I'm away down under for a couple of months.

Thought I'd keep my eyes on Eblag for a set of 'busa pistons while I'm away.  Are all the first generation ones suitable?  And what does a new set of rings cost? (roundabout)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Not sure If I'm missing something but if I get a set of used 'busa pistons for £100 + £200 for rings + £150ish for rebore.  Or £500 for forged MTC pistons and rings and £150 for rebore.  £450 vs £650 seems a no brainer on the new MTC ones unless the 'busa ones are very good.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, luke2152 said:

Not sure If I'm missing something but if I get a set of used 'busa pistons for £100 + £200 for rings + £150ish for rebore.  Or £500 for forged MTC pistons and rings and £150 for rebore.  £450 vs £650 seems a no brainer on the new MTC ones unless the 'busa ones are very good.

My last set of Busa pistons cost £57,just check the ring gap to make sure they are in spec,have t paid more than £70 for a set of Busas,my bike gets used regularly and has done for the last 3 years,the set that are in my bike have been in for the last 2.5 years and have been running 10/11 psi most of the time with a high of 18psi ,they are very cost effective.Rebore and pistons came to £200.

Edited by Paulm
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Tombola said:

Per engine I would of said, I personally wouldnt re use a set of rings, well unless times where hard lol

What's the problem with reusing them if they are in spec? There's loads of people using Busa pistons in there turbo bikes with no issues,cheap and easy way to big bore and lower compression for a turbo motor.

• Like 1
On 2-6-2016 at 11:24 AM, luke2152 said:

Yes I will have the ms control the ignition. Was thinking get a trigger wheel made to suit stock vr sensor although idealy I'd want a cam sensor as well so I don't have to run wasted spark.

I had heard stock diaphragm clutch is poo and extra spring only improves it a little but be happy to stand corrected.  Happy side of 200bhp is my goal so not too extreme

Stock diphram clutch is not poo if you do it the right way. If you add 1 spring and take a way the thicknes off the spring from the central nut it wil hold to approx 250 bhp 

if you add another spring and do the same as above for two springs it will hold to approx 350 bhp

i rode my turbo kwaksuki like that for two years only thing you have to so is grow some muscles on your left hand 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Paulm said:

What's the problem with reusing them if they are in spec? There's loads of people using Busa pistons in there turbo bikes with no issues,cheap and easy way to big bore and lower compression for a turbo motor.

if the the rings cracked/fractured or failed after a little while, I'd say putting new ones on would be the better option in my opinion.

Edited by Tombola
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, Tombola said:

if the the rings cracked/fractured or failed after a little while, I'd say putting new ones on would be the better option in my opinion.

Each to there own but been running second hand busa pistons in mine for 8 years now with 15 psi . Has enough go to lift the front wheel by pulling the throttle to the stop in 4th @150mph . I have spent a huge amount of time setting the fueling up tho . If its not set up right pistons are not going to last long even if they are nice shiny new forged ones . Also try the stock bandit clutch but I couldn't get it to stop slipping when my bike was running a 1246 kit and cams let alone a turbo .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, luke2152 said:

Can I definitely bore standard bandit liners to 81mm?  I was talking to someone who knows more than me an he wasn't sure.  I'm going to be in USA for a couple of days this month so I'm thinking of buying a set of MTC turbo pistons and saving myself a good chunk of VAT

Yes you can. Bandit 1200 liners outer diameter is about 86mm.

• Like 1

Planning on using a mechanical scavenge pump.  I guess I'll need a sump tank under the turbo.  Any idea what sort of volume it needs to be (pretty small I'm guessing just to hold the volume of oil in the turbo when you switch off).  Should I put a 1 way valve in the scavenge line to stop oil flowing back to the sump tank after switch off?

• Like 1

I feel I may have been going the wrong way with that zx7 fuel pump it is :

1.  Mounted in middle of the tank due to its height (not good for fuel surge).

2.  Not big enough for the job (I knew that already) but I thought I'd easily find an aftermarket replacement.  Such replacements are not easy to find for zx7 housing and not big enough for turbo needs anyway - unless I've missed a good source.

So what about just putting 2 unions in the rear of the tank and running an external efi pump. Will it be ok without baffles?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, luke2152 said:

So what about just putting 2 unions in the rear of the tank and running an external efi pump. Will it be ok without baffles?

Most likely it will work fine. Although you may notice some hiccups when fuel level is low. How low you can go without problems will depend  on tank shape and union placement. On my GSX I have both take-off and return in place of the original petcock and it starts to suck air every now and then when there are a couple of liters fuel left in the tank.

• Like 1