Voltage when off

Blue

Slabby, 2 wires from alternator, 1 orange going to switch & fuse, 1 red going to switch, circuit breaker, fuse & headlight relay. When ignition is on I’m getting 12.6v on both, when off I’m getting 12.6 on the red & 9.6v on the orange! And no volts at all on the brown wire! Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by Blue

I'm a little confused at the moment? Yes you will have 12+ on the red wire all the time . Orange should only have 12when ignition is on . I'm assuming you have tested this at the alternator plug ( alternator unplugged) ? Which brown wire are you referring to ? And what's the problem with the bike ?

Guest YoshiJohnny

The orange wire is the switched live for the alternator...there is a fix for the voltage drop on one of the vault pages I will find in a minute..

The alternator doesnt work until there is a 12v feed to it... if you check it when it's running tou should get around 14.2v at the red wire and slightly less at the orange without the fix

I have an issue here too. I have a very basic loom for the drag bike. No ign, lights, etc.

Cosmo did the loom but nothing to connect up the 2 Alt wires. I asked him & he said, Red to Batt+ & leave orange off.

Having read this, if the orange is the trigger for it to charge, how is mine gonna work?

10 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

how is mine gonna work?

like he said above, it won't.

from the alternator the red feeds back to the battery, the orange feeds back to the red via a kill/on-off switch, the orange should also supply the power feed to whatever you are using ( coils/starter switch/instruments/gauges/oil warning etc) via correct rated fuse and wire.

had a word with Cosmo & he said his runs with just the Red>Batt+ connected. However he did suggest putting Orange to batt+ too if it don't charge.

This is all subjecctive at the mo, cos the engine is dry & not ready to turn over just yet. Saw this post & made me wonder? 

(Sorry for hijack @Blue)

Basic alternator theory - a spinning coil of wire or a spinning magnet will produce a voltage whilst within a magnetic field or due to a magnetic field . The red is connected to a spinning or a static coil and is the output but unlike the old GSX's that had a permanent magnet glued inside its rotor, the GSXR relies on an electromagnet to produce a magnetic field hence they are called the 'field coils' - which needs powering, this source is usually switched and in this case is the Orange. 

• Like 1
Guest YoshiJohnny
On 26/05/2018 at 1:14 PM, MeanBean49 said:

I have simple race looms on mine, I put red direct to battery and wire the orange into the coil live which is switched on by the kill switch.

me too.....

25 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

So really i need a switched feed from whatever on this loom to the Orange wire, or i get nothing back.

Also i would assume a perm live feed to the Orange is not a good idea?

Hmmm Bat Flattery and over heated alternator .......................so no!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Nick said:

Can anyone post pics of how they've installed their relay to drop the voltage?

Read the vault guide, but electrickery is not my thing and dont wanna do a bodge job!!  Thanks...

Realy doesnt change voltage. Its just so all the current for all the electrics isnt flowing through one little switch.