clutch question for the experts

Hello Suzuki perverts, ive got a question about the clutch for you to hopefully answer.

My old clutch was leaking at the clutch release cylinder, so I ordered up a new rebuild kit.

Unfortiunately I didn't take note of which way the rubber seal was facing when I took it out. (about a year or two ago ahem)

I replaced it, with the rubber lip pointing IN towards the engine (see pic), which I kinda presumed would be right  as it would slide in when the clutch lever was pulled , but  it was still leaking afterwards.

Before I replace it the other way round, and bleed the clutch etc etc, can someone tell me which way the rubber seal points?

Is it towards the engine/pushrod or away from it?

My head hurts............Thanks

clutch slave 2.jpg

clutch slave1.jpg

Edited by baldrick

It looks correct how you have it butting up against the shoulder.

I've just had a look at Figure 17 (Part No. 23, 23163-05A00) in the Parts Manual, but hard to tell.

The maufacturer's mark and seal info typically faces outwards. Can you see the seal markings when fitted?

Cheers

Graham

Thanks for answering but ive since realised its actually on the wrong way /.

I was looking at it back to front after taking off the cover, and looking at it from behind. I said it was facing in towards the engine in the pic but its actually facing out. makes sense now duh.

the wide part of the seal gets pushed by the fluid, moving the cylinder and pushrod..

thanks anyway.

I'm off for a lie down

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, baldrick said:

Thanks for answering but ive since realised its actually on the wrong way /.

I was looking at it back to front after taking off the cover, and looking at it from behind. I said it was facing in towards the engine in the pic but its actually facing out. makes sense now duh.

the wide part of the seal gets pushed by the fluid, moving the cylinder and pushrod..

I'm with you on this - generally fluid pressure on a seal should be to cavity side to push the seal lip into the bore to force a seal - done the other way the fluid just 'washes' past the lip. Harder to get into the bore but that's the point - lots of lube (oooh er misses!) and i'll go in.

• Like 1

yeah ive just finished it, cleaned it all with brake fluid and an airline, so should be sweet.

it wasn't too bad to be honest because its hardly done anything since I last changed it 

previous owner has managed to mangle the screws which hold the thin crappy tin cover that goes over the cylinder,. I improvised with a rubber seal to keep the crap out of the cylinder

Pic above was  the right way round by the way. I gueaa that's the problem with laptop in house, clutch in garage and a shite memory ha ha