Howdy from Ireland

Hi all. Set up an account years ago and forgot about it (ooops) so typical when I'm in trouble I  show up like again. I have a 1990 Gixer1100 Slingshot. I blow the motor about two years ago. Lack of funds meant it stayed under a sheet for a while. Before Christmas I knocked across a cheap bandit 12 engine. Few covers missing no pick ups but I had them. Long story short fitted engine and running but it was almost as bad as what I took out - on with the sheets and walked away from it. Last week a buddy rang me to say he was breaking a Bandit 12. Bike was on the button so did a deal for the engine and carbs - also got the loom and cdi. Fitted the motor and carbs, started it and it backfired for a little bit then settled into a nice tickover but it won't rev over 4k rpm and if I try it surges, dies, surges and stops completely.

The only initial problem I spotted is the ignition pick up. Both have a single pick up but I never knew the rotors were different. I ran the bike with the Bandit engine/carbs and the Bandit pickup/rotor. As soon as I spotted this I swopped the rotor to the say what now!? one but no change.

Is there any way I could have damaged the cdi by running the wrong rotor. The lad I got it from it convinced I need the bandit cdi but I ran the first bandit engine with the say what now!? cdi. Any ideas please

WP_20160829_011.jpg

bandit rotor.jpg

gixer rotor.jpg

Just thinking out loud...

Since it does rev with the air cleaner inlet partially covered.... Basically altering the air / fuel ratio.

Have you checked the airbox for leaks or even a filter? 

Because it sounds abit like what I did once... In a hurry I didn't fit the filter and the bike would only rev when I pulled the choke.