Hi all,

I was lurking here months ago when I had a collection of GSX1100 parts cleverly posing as a single bike. Long story but now I have just taken on a 1981 GS650E, it's a project but appears to be all there and in fairly good condition. 

I need to get a few bits and pieces for it such as gaskets for the clutch cover, cylinder head cover, magneto cover and a set of stainless engine bolts since these are either shabby, knackered or missing. The gaskets are available on CMS but are fairly pricey. There are a load of gaskets on Eblag for GS650's but I'm not convinced they will be correct for the E since I understand that it had a slightly different engine to the shaft drive models. Also there are loads of engine bolt kits for 750's and 550'd but the only 650's are Katana's.

Does anyone know if the engine covers and therefore gaskets were the same on the E (chain driven) and the other shaft driven 650's? 

And would a 550 engine bolt kit work with the 650?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to OSS :)

Someone will be along who can help you for deff, I would think the 550 alanbolt set would work on your 650 but you may need the odd one?

If you have a look at the Robinson's Foundry site or give them a bell i bet they can help or down load the Alphasports site (free) and you can check part numbers ;)

• Like 1

Gaskets and bolt sets arrived! Cylinder cover gasket was supposedly for 650e, l, gd and katana. It's almost good... Except for one bolt hole. It is the same as the one that was in there already so I trimmed it and fitted. I managed to find genuine e spec gaskets for the clutch and stator covers. 550 bolt kit, not so good. Seems there are either a lot of differences or my kit was crap or my engine has been drilled and tapped in places. Either way the bikes coming on nicely. 

Edited by Dool09
Crap spell check