Fitting Exhaust Collets on GSX-R750F

gmseed

Hi

Just removed the exhaust for spraying from my 1985 GSX-R750 as the previous owner had let it get rusty.

On removing the exhaust I could imagine how tricky it would be to reinsert the semi-circular collets, and thought I'd post a thread as I'm sure this is something forum memberd have done time and time again. So, any advice welcome as to the best way to insert them.

It looks like I could insert the outer (numbers 1 and 4) collets fairly easily but can imagine the inner (numbers 2 and 3) are tricky. For numbers 2 and 3 I was going to smear some copper grease (to help grip) on the insides of the collets and then wrap electricians tape around the larger diameter and to ensure they don't get pushed out during installation also add a temporary taped collar behind them, and then once in position carefully remove the masking tape before sliding up and tightening the bolted brackets. Or, if this fails I was thinking of simply fiddling with a pair of long tweezers. But, if someone knows the best and right way I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

Graham

Umm... Not what I had in mind! I'm not looking forward to this job!

Having said that I do have an ABBA stand with the attachment for lifting the front wheel off the ground, so will definitely do that and try and get the wheel as high as I can. Their skylift would be good for this job.

@DuckndiveThanks. I'll think about using thin wire. The only problem is that the collets sit on a stepped flange that once the collets are added fits exactly into the cylinder head. I'll have to work out the exact dimensions so that any wire doesn't prevent the collet from entering the chamber and compressing tne gasket fully, and also doesn't damage the exhaust mouth. But if the wire was thin enough it might work. 

Maybe the thin wire could be pulled out once the collets are 80% the way in, by way of winding the wire tight but not locking it.

So, with the front wheel pointing upwards and the 2 inner collets wrapped with thin wire, hopefully I'll figure it out.

Just had an idea! Loctite the collets onto the stepped flange of the exhaust. Even if it later melts and runs it can't run into the exhaust mouth and crap that up and can only run downwards along the down pipe. Also, such small wuantities of loctite are needed anyway.

Cheers, and thanks for your help.

Graham

@bernardoThanks for your reply.

I smeared GunGum on numbers 2 and 3 collets, pressed them onto the downpipes, wrapped some masking tape around and then left the gum to harden for an hour. I then removed the masking tape and with the collets held nicely in position I lifted the exhaust into place; with the help of Her in Doors! After temporarily securing numbers 2 and 3 collars I then fit the collets for 3 and 4, again using a bit of gum.

So, if anyone else is doing this job GunGum is the trick!

Edited by gmseed