Dr350 clanking at startup wtf

I 'd check the rotor nut/bolt is tight, the rotor is tight onto the crank and just that everything that should be tight is tight and everything that should move moves freely. I'd also check the starter motor mounts. Other than that, primary gear nut on the other end of the crank, clutch basket, maybe the cam chain tensioner. My DR650 is a bit "clanky" on starting as well but all is as it should be.   

help me out guys im in flippin guinea west africa living in a tent

where is the starter clutch? my shoddy manual is not at all clear.  what am i looking for in the starter clutch?  can someone describe it ?

i dont wanna take off the side covers more than i have to: to save the gaskets

many thanks

starter clutch is behind the flywheel, its a gear driven by the starter motor that has a onee way clutch which will engage in one direction but freely spin in the other. the problems are that the flywheel securing bolts come loose and it clatters, or else the springs that secure the rollers push through the outer casing of the starter clutch. it has been said that it can be caused by the engine hitting compression when the kill switch is operated, and the engine 'kicking back' as thee piston hits compression and is pushed back down the bore, momentarily spinnin the engine backwards by part of a rotation. on the bigger dr motors, th dr 750 and 800 big, suzuki reccomended stopping thee engine using the decompressor lever and thn turning the ignition off when it was stopped.

Thankyou Johnr

am i right in thinking the flywheel is inside the engine cases.  and that you are saying the starter clutch gear is bolted to it. therefor i cant get to it from the side covers . and i just hope for the best .  is that gonna go catastrophically wrong at some point ?

Edited by richyrich
attribution

its inside the engine but accessible from the flywheel cover. tbh if its the starter clutch and it goes tits up, it just wont start and you'll havee to bump it. chances are it will rattle for ages before it does let go. but if you have a decompressor  lever, then use it  to stop the engine to give the starter clutch an easier time.

Johnr. so when you say flywheel cover do you mean the left side cover with  the magneto and starter gears behind it. or a different cover  . im being thick here. is the starter clutch one of those small gear wheels coning from the starter motor ? .  like bluedog said too ill check them .