Base spacer

Better to do measurements and math if you want any reliable result. Always. There are just too many variables that can throw result anywhere.

Slightly related anecdote. A friend of mine had a set of Wössner turbo pistons for his race Busa, 9.5:1 specified compression. He wanted to increase compression to 10-10.5 range so we started to take measurements to see what needs to be done. Turned out that with his slightly machined combustion chambers the compression was about 8.2 instead of expected 9.5. With stock head it would be maybe 8.5. After some measurements and calculations we got to conclusion that no matter what cylinder block height or piston crown machining we would use the result would be maximum 9.5 with those pistons. So he decided to buy new MTC pistons with 10.5 compression. So just throw them in and it's done, right? I urged him to do measurements once again and guess what, 9.5 compression with those new pistons! :D

So, always measure and trust nothing. Yes, I know, easier said than done...

• Like 4