Ignition advancers

Foz

I've fitted an ignition advancer to all the gsxr's and bandits I've owned over the years with good results . Do people still fit them or keep them fitted on Big bored engines or do they remove them due to the increased compression ? 

• Like 1

"Good results"... I've heard numerous stories about advancer snake oil, but seen not solid proof that they've actually made any difference. Not that they're actually a lot of money, but so many people (including tuners who would benefit from the increased sale) have said they're not worth the bother. And certainly not required on a tuned / bored / blown engine.

I've always found that they have crispened throttle response and I've tried them on 750's,1100's and 1200's . It's more of a curiosity question than anything , a 1216 bandit isn't going to be much higher in compression than a standard 1100 would have been or am I wrong .

• Like 1

On relatively low tune bikes  (big margins in many areas to exploit) a 4 or 5 degree advancer will improve part throttle response, at full throttle on the dyno it looks like you only gain 1 - 2 hp in the mid-range. but they do work - only don't expect big gains . I took my advancer off when I fitted my big bore kit, which is close to a true 12 : 1 compression ratio, more advance does mean more heat, on top of the extra heat from the compression and tuning. The ideal scenario would be to fit a programmable ignitor unit and spend a day on the dyno finding the minimum advance for maximum torque through the rev range.  A big bore gives you loads of extra pick-up anyway, so any extra crispness isn't needed.

More modern bikes don't really benefit from any more advance.

• Like 1

It does make a difference, even more so if you run super unleaded or even avgas.

Standard ignition timing is set on the safe side to allow good running on all grades of fuel.

Crap fuel and more advance dont go well.

Advancers also kill bit of bottom end power by being too advanced for low revs.

As above best bet is to use a programable ignition and play about till you get the best results

• Like 2

I've used them on two or three bikes, you don't get big bhp but it dose seem to give more throttle response and makes the engine feel more responsive.

Some people say a 4 degree is better some say a 5 is better, used both and I'd say no real difference.

I'm not a big one for putting my bikes on the Dyna, I more play with the jetting till it feels right on the road where it count's. ;) I know how big my dick is and don't need a piece of paper saying it xD and if you want to go a bit faster ever go on a diet or have a good shit before you go on your bike xD

• Like 3

oilyspanner gets my vote - more ignition during part throttle / load via a programmable ignition - fitting a throttle  position sensor ( easy these days)  coupled with a crank position sensor ( or cam)  -  my experience with a 5 deg fixed advancer on a gsxr1100L motor - yes a bit more sparkle but no more than a touch leaner on the main jet - kinda like "dyno says X jet - bum says prefer a tad richer" 

I slotted the backplate on both my 750s /860s and  noticed it running about the paddock and in races.  The pick up at tickover was noticeably better.  Why does this make a difference on a race bike you ask.  Well I don't rev the brains out of the things when the red light comes on so the instant pick up means I'm not bogged down when the red light goes out.