Hi all, 

Just trying to suss out which type of coolant I can use with this bike. I've looked in the workshop manual but it just says use suzuki coolant. Just wanted to find out the properties of the suzuki stuff they recommend (OAT, silicate free, etc). 

Is anyone running a non suzuki coolant and if so what brand. Anyone know a cheap place to buy the suzuki stuff? 

Thanks in advance. 

OAT (pink) or glycol (blue)  are the choices.  The Brand doesn't really mater.

There isn't much to choose between them.

What ever you do though. DO NOT MIX THE 2 TYPES.

If the coolant that came out was blueish stick with glycol based stuff. If it was pinkish/orangish colour stick with an OAT type.

3 hours ago, Madb said:

which ever you use, Please use Distilled water.  It's cheap enough from super market garages. 2 liters for a quid. and mix it 50-50  with anti freeze. Pre-mix you'll pay a premium but some prefer it.

DO NOT USE TAP WATER.:stop:

Thanks Madb... Don't worry I'm not a complete noob. Was just curious about the properties of the suzuki coolant and want to make sure I 100% do not end up with jelly in the bike from mixing incompatible fluids. I'm really just trying to find a comparable coolant with what was in there originally... Assuming it was suzuki stuff off course. 

The colour was a greenish blue if that helps anyone. 

9 hours ago, Madb said:

which ever you use, Please use Distilled water.  It's cheap enough from super market garages. 2 liters for a quid. and mix it 50-50  with anti freeze. Pre-mix you'll pay a premium but some prefer it.

If you have a condensing tumble drier and clean out the tank regularly, the water it will contain will effectively be de-ionised and can be used in these new fangled water cooled machines by tight-arses like me who want to avoid buying distilled water. Or know someone locally than works in a university science department where they have a distilled water dispenser....

I think Prestone anti-freeze can be used in any water cooled engine but it will be best to check first. You can sometimes get it cheap at autojumbles but that's the same for just about everything auto....

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Spadge said:

Thanks Madb... Don't worry I'm not a complete noob. Was just curious about the properties of the suzuki coolant and want to make sure I 100% do not end up with jelly in the bike from mixing incompatible fluids. I'm really just trying to find a comparable coolant with what was in there originally... Assuming it was suzuki stuff off course. 

Most likely Glycol based.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, banoffee said:

I’ve run Triumph OAT coolant in my watercooled bikes for years as I get it cheap. It’s bright green by the way :)

Bloody Triumphs confusing the issue. 

On 09/03/2018 at 1:35 PM, Madb said:

Thanks for all the good responses. Think I'll flush the system just to be sure before putting anything else in. What's the best way of doing this? Fill reservoir in radiator with deionised water, turn on bike let it heat up a bit then drain, repeat 2 to 3 times then fill with diluted coolant? 

reservoir is for pressurized over flow. it's just a one way valve to stop the hot water vented to atmosphere, it does not flow back into the system. best just to flush the rad and engine with clean water but best to remove  from the themostat to fill it as it's the highest point on our bikes. disconect at the water pump to drain.(y)