srad rear wheel in boiler swing arm

hi chaps dont shoot me i know this will have been covered a million times just point me in the right direction but !!!

right cheap set of wheels and forks were aquired for the 7/11 so there going in front end mint no probs boooosh rear wheel erm right no probs swap bearings as the srad spindle is too large but on checking the bearing tables a rough guess at a 58x20x15 there not available so question 1 does anyone have a set of slingy bearings or boiler bearings if there different they can measure for me ? i,m tipping the spindle is 20mm  second question is does anyone know the different widths of sprocket carriers that fit on different models , as you can see the wheel is quite wide :-) the motor is an m so has a slightly longer out put shaft but i need to se how much i,m playing with , cheers adrian

Captive spacers ftw. 

I'm told you'll need to machine a bit of the sprocket carrier and run an offset front sprocket to get the chain alignment, there's around 10mm difference in the rear sprocket offset between the Srad and  oil boiler rear wheels. Though you appear to have wp stuff in the pictures.

I'm doing this conversion myself in a week or 2.  I'll do a little write up on it.

• Like 2

Like Dunc says its not a straiightforward swap, Srad/TL/Busa and earlier K-series gsxrs all have a different sprocket offset to slingshots. Oil boilers are 100mm and the rest 110mm you need to account for this somehow otherwise you cannot have a central wheel with correct chain alignment.

Easy soloution is a 10mm offset front sprocket if theres clearence.

I use K series wheels and i had to do a lot of machining of wheel and carrier. I got 5mm that way, run a talon rear sprocket backwards got another 3 and there was space for a 2mm spacer behind front sprocket.

I believe its easier to machine the outside face of the srad/tl/busa carriers than k-series.

Other ways you can get clearence is using a 520 chain and sprockets, and spacing the front sprocket by the difference in sprocket thickness.

Another tip is I always measure from the center of the standard wheel to the inside face of the sprocket and the centre of the wheel to the outside face of the sprocket carried spacer. You can then compare to the wheel you want to use. Sometimes the sprocket offset is ok but the sprocket carrier itself is too wide to get wheel central. I believe this is the issue with the Triumph 675 rear wheel

• 5 years later...
On 2/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, MeanBean49 said:

Like Dunc says its not a straiightforward swap, Srad/TL/Busa and earlier K-series gsxrs all have a different sprocket offset to slingshots. Oil boilers are 100mm and the rest 110mm you need to account for this somehow otherwise you cannot have a central wheel with correct chain alignment.

Easy soloution is a 10mm offset front sprocket if theres clearence.

I use K series wheels and i had to do a lot of machining of wheel and carrier. I got 5mm that way, run a talon rear sprocket backwards got another 3 and there was space for a 2mm spacer behind front sprocket.

I believe its easier to machine the outside face of the srad/tl/busa carriers than k-series.

Other ways you can get clearence is using a 520 chain and sprockets, and spacing the front sprocket by the difference in sprocket thickness.

Another tip is I always measure from the center of the standard wheel to the inside face of the sprocket and the centre of the wheel to the outside face of the sprocket carried spacer. You can then compare to the wheel you want to use. Sometimes the sprocket offset is ok but the sprocket carrier itself is too wide to get wheel central. I believe this is the issue with the Triumph 675 rear wheel

hi sorry for the intrusion im building a bike with suzuki gsxr front strad wheel as i like the design , i also want to fit a 6 inch strad back wheel and im looking for 110mm from centre of wheel to back of sprocket , i just found this thread on back wheels on a  strad 750 6j rim being that ,is this correct . again thanks in advance