GSX 1200

bigbang

Hello everyone

I just bought a '00 GSX 1200, I don't know much about this model but it was a good deal so I just bought it...

Now I'm doing some research and I have a (stupid?...) question about it. I found this forum so I thought I could get some help.

The sides of the engine are black (like in the GSX750), not polished like it was suposed to be in the 1200... How do I know that a previous owner didn't have a problem with the original engine and got a 750 cc to replace it? Is there anything on the outside of the engine that can confirm that it is the 1156 cc?

I know the way it goes should be enough to clarify the differences between engines, but I don't really have something to compare with, since I had a XJ600 many years ago and this one, beeing 750 or 1200, goes waaay faster...

Regards

14 hours ago, bigbang said:

Hello everyone

I just bought a '00 GSX 1200, I don't know much about this model but it was a good deal so I just bought it...

Now I'm doing some research and I have a (stupid?...) question about it. I found this forum so I thought I could get some help.

The sides of the engine are black (like in the GSX750), not polished like it was suposed to be in the 1200... How do I know that a previous owner didn't have a problem with the original engine and got a 750 cc to replace it? Is there anything on the outside of the engine that can confirm that it is the 1156 cc?

I know the way it goes should be enough to clarify the differences between engines, but I don't really have something to compare with, since I had a XJ600 many years ago and this one, beeing 750 or 1200, goes waaay faster...

Regards

If your engine model no. (right-hand side, above the clutch cover) begins with a "V", the engine is 1100-1200 cc, i.e. 1127 or 1157 cc in your case.

Edited by Nik

Yes, these are not very common, at least here in Portugal. I knew the Bandit1200, not this one.

Now I have to get it serviced, because it was stored without working for a long time.

A bit of offtopic, if I may. Nik, I noticed you have a Vespa 150. Can you put a photo of it? I have one too (1962, I think) waiting to get fixed. My father bought it new, and it doesn't work for many, many years... Maybe I'll get inspired by yours and start to work on it.

4 hours ago, bigbang said:

Yes, these are not very common, at least here in Portugal. I knew the Bandit1200, not this one.

Now I have to get it serviced, because it was stored without working for a long time.

A bit of offtopic, if I may. Nik, I noticed you have a Vespa 150. Can you put a photo of it? I have one too (1962, I think) waiting to get fixed. My father bought it new, and it doesn't work for many, many years... Maybe I'll get inspired by yours and start to work on it.

☺ I'll see what I can find. 

22 hours ago, bigbang said:

A bit of offtopic, if I may. Nik, I noticed you have a Vespa 150. Can you put a photo of it? I have one too (1962, I think) waiting to get fixed. My father bought it new, and it doesn't work for many, many years... Maybe I'll get inspired by yours and start to work on it.

PM sent, so the rest of you guys don't get exposed to non-Suzuki photos. :)

• Like 1