oil temp sensor

Fjbj40

I have installed a Trail Tec Vapor gauge on my 1000. It has an option for oil  or coolant temp. I have the sensor just trying to figure where to install the probe. options are oil cooler "in" line, sump or the oil gallery plug on the rh side of the engine.

Any opinions where to install?

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, wraith said:

If it helps, the gsx-es etc has the temp sensor on the oil pressure sensor plate that's on the top of the crank case rear of the barrels.

Unfortunately that won't work, I should have mentioned my engine uses that plate area for the oil cooler feed and return.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

The Yoshimura multi function gauge setups bang a sensor in the end of the main gallery that runs across the back of the cylinders (blanked on the left by the mag rotor cover, blanked by a plug the same as the rocker shaft plugs on the clutch side)

So they remove the plug on the RH side and put the sensor in there? I have a spare bolt for that hole. I could tap it to fit the sensor and read the temp at that location.

That is the oil feed to all bearings, out of the pump, so that would be the best temp to read as most oil temp gauges read the oil going into the engine rather than the the sump temp.

Will look at that also.

Thanks everybody

On 2/26/2018 at 10:49 PM, Fjbj40 said:

So they remove the plug on the RH side and put the sensor in there? I have a spare bolt for that hole. I could tap it to fit the sensor and read the temp at that location.

Yep. Yosh of course do it with a bright red anodised adaptor plug.

So I got my machinist buddy to mod the spare plug I had. Drilled and tapped for the temp sensor and then surfaced the end as the factory bolt is convex. 

I will be adding some pics to my thread is the projects section in the next few days, "gs1000 tidy-up"