Katana 1100 gearing

Brian foord

Unless your bike has undergone dramatic weight loss and or power increase, going up 3 teeth on the front will be too much without also going up a lot on the back. If the stock gearing is 15/42 then the gearbox sprocket has to turn 2.8 times to make the rear wheel turn once. The GSXR rear wheel will help as it is a lower profile tyre than a stock Kat rear but anything less than 2.5 and you may be overgeared. A 45 tooth rear sprocket would give you this ratio; to get the stock ratio of 2.8 you'll need a 50 tooth sprocket but using one this big may mean you run into chain fouling issues, e.g. on the rear shock. Personally, I would use a 16 or a 17 tooth front sprocket but as we all know, these aren't exactly cheap.

44 minutes ago, no class said:

I don't follow Dup...... in my book taller gearing = top end. ....... shorter gearing = grunt ......so going larger front with stock rear will give taller gearing....... smaller front stock rear gives shorter gearing 

Agreed.  :) Your first post didn't read like that to me.  Maybe it was just me.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 1