N712 V N721 b600 engine

GrumpYounGit

After some info haven't found much via search button.

I've got a b600 mk1 with n712 engine code, I'm looking at replacing the engine as gears jumping out, burning oil and cam wear (All from previous owner I hope)

Basically I've seen the mk2 engines come up looking tidy no shabby covers and low mileage but the mk1 engines are hens teeth in tidy guise, so I was wondering can I just sling a mk2 lump in there or will it have to be the mk1?

Many thanks 

Lee

Welcome to OSS

Yes the mk2 engine will be fine with some slight modifications.

Don't remember if the mk1 has the PAIR stuff, if not the ports on the front of the mk2 cilinder block will need blocking off, easy enough to do.

And the electrical connections on the generator and ignition pick-up are probably different. You can swap over these items from your old engine. Just make sure that the gear on the generator is the same, and when you install the generator on the engine, make sure the gear engages properly behind the clutch or it will break. Remove the clutch cover to be sure.

Or you can put the mk1 generator connector on the mk2 generator. Both have a red and an orange wire.

Edited by Captain Chaos
early morning spelling
3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Welcome to OSS

Yes the mk2 engine will be fine with some slight modifications.

Don't remember if the mk1 has the PAIR stuff, if not the ports on the front of the mk2 cilinder block will need blocking off, easy enough to do.

And the electrical connections on the generator and ignition pick-up are probably different. You can swap over these items from your old engine. Just make sure that the gear on the generator is the same, and when you install the generator on the engine, make sure the gear engages properly behind the clutch or it will break. Remove the clutch cover to be sure.

Or you can put the mk1 generator connector on the mk2 generator. Both have a red and an orange wire.

No pair on mk1 blanking plates easy to come by though will have to do a little more digging r.e wiring though.

58 minutes ago, wraith said:

Put a gsx750f in it, same zorst etc, but 36mm carbs. About the same price but with more power and no need to mess with front/rear ends unless you want ;)

MK2 b6 just need to blank off PAIR at front, I believe the pick ups are the same and as said above alt just two wires, easy :)

Any particular year for 750f? Everything else will just bolt on basically? Thanks for this :)

I've seen different years put in b6, but the pre 2000 have the best carbs. I believe you can put the pre 2000 carbs on the later engines, the main thing is to get one that had the 4-1 zorst so you don't need to mess with the sump but only the very early ones had the 4-2 zorst.

Gsxr750 also go strate in, even more bhp ;) I will let someone who knows more about the gsxr750 motors tell you more on that one.

• Like 1