Peeps,my brother recently passed away bless him leaving me with various bits of bikes that he didn't want/need/couldn't fix etc...

Among these was an RGV 250 engine wrapped in an old sheet which has been in my shed for 6yrs now.I took a peek and unfortunately it is missing one of its barrels and head.I am unsure which one until I move the pile of other stuff in its way.

Before I decide what to do with it are there any numbers I should be looking for as to the exact model of engine it is?

Thanks guys.

Sorry to hear about your bro.....:( my condolences.

Here is a quote from another forum that I'm on;

Its probably a VJ21 or VJ22 engine would be surprised if its a 23 but you never know

"Vj 21L have less aggressive porting, but can use any vj22 piston and studs suit 12C1 (L) heads or vj22 , these barrels are marked 12C1 just above the Base gasket and 89 on side of p/valve chamber.

Vj21 K cylinders just have 88 marking, they have shorter head studs for K spec heads. And use a wider boost port so ring peg position is different. Meaning suzuki only K spec pistons. Base gasket flange thickness varies, so may need different studs".

I'm sure there are other smoker experts on here that can verify/confirm this :tu

Here are some photos of my VJ21 L engine you can see the markings as stated above 12C1 and 89

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Edited by Simbec1863
  • Like 1

Sorry for ur loss dude

As katanamangler says i am building one for the track for a friend

Was gifted it from very good oss member john r 

Vj21 and vj22 small differences  but basically same 90degree v2twin vj23 70degree v twin dry clutch

There is a mine field with parts as every year small changes to each model 

They are also a fuggin money pit as i am finding out ,about 3times as much as building a gsxr motor

• Like 2

Ok,..i managed to get to the engine today to have a look at what it is.It seems to be a 'k' engine due to an '88' on the side...it turns over freely but must have been sitting for some time as it is pretty grubby and dusty.It is missing its vertical barrel and has evidence of skirt damage to that piston.The gearbox seems to turn well too but it looks like someone has started to or has removed the cassette at some point as the retaing nuts for the cassette plate are missing.I did not attempt to pull at the box for fear of things flying out all over the shop.

Given the cost of parts nowadays for these pocket rockets I am sure I will not have the time or money to rebuild it so I may put it up for sale.

One more thing,the crankshaft has a name engraved on the webs,something tuners do but did these bikes have the factory assembler do the same??I have tried googling this but have come up short.I will get some pics up soon.

@Sheepif you’re thinking of selling or need more info try the rgv forum they’re some proper RGV nuts on it that seem to own all models of RGV therefore seem to know everything about them, some of the folk are on here also

my level of knowledge is only VJ21 L model based as during my rebuilding I have had to learn new stuff but don’t know details about other models sorry I can’t help more

Your 88 VJ21 engine would be a Japan J model or K model with the only option for new pistons being Suzuki unlike later model VJ21 L and VJ22 that use the same piston so you can use Vertex or other decent makes

Sean at the Tuning Works based in Lincolnshire is a good source of knowledge to,he has a website and runs the rgv forum 

Hope this helps:tu

• Like 1

Forgot to say my mate bought some 21 crankcases last month and paid £100 for them reckon you could break it and make more cash then selling it whole,if the engine was complete with decent compression you might get £500 for it although eblag prices aren’t reliable just greedy fecks selling crap for made up prices most of the time

• Like 1

Yeh I have seen some funny prices too....It reminds me of a thread on here not so long ago over the cost of older bikes....If I were to re-home the engine I would put it here first to help other OSS'ers out first....Shame it wasn't complete as I did have a wild idea of a skinny little sprint bike perhaps....My lad has a two stroke motocross so I will still get my smoky fix at least.

Btw....thanks for all your help ;)

Edited by Sheep
Manners
  • Like 3