Well, after painting my old efe and it not turning out shite, I decided to have another crack, with my old TLs

sohere is what it started out as- horrible faded red paint and primer.

So ive got almost another set of bodywork apart from the fairing, and front mudguard (hint if anyone has one for cheap $$$)

Anyway I ended up going for a scheme slightly retro gsxr slabby based, but with updated colours. 

What you think?

I like it, and that's good enough for me. Still to be clear coatred

DSC_0030.JPG

tl1a.jpg

tl1b.jpg

tl1c.JPG

tl1d.jpg

tl1e.jpg

• Like 11

cheers lads, another efe to do next week, 

will be like this, but different.  Metallics, with maybe some crystal and candy, will see if I can get some cash together for the royal blue concentrate and base coat binder5a0736c981289_gsxrefedesign.jpg.445419c55342493c10c39660af6d26cc.jpg

Heres one I did earlier, and the latest victim, in my elaborate temperature controlled full extraction booth with air fed masks etc,................  okay , okay it ma shed

DSC_0005.JPG

efe1.jpg

• Like 6

It's a shame you are so far away up there in Scotchland or I'd be trying to presuade you to have a go at mine:( What the hell is that new fangled contraption that has the faceache webpage address on it? I thought that so called new 'Katana' would be the end of this sort of buffoonery.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Dezza said:

It's a shame you are so far away up there in Scotchland or I'd be trying to presuade you to have a go at mine:( What the hell is that new fangled contraption that has the faceache webpage address on it? I thought that so called new 'Katana' would be the end of this sort of buffoonery.

The paint and the front end  is the only part I like about it.

designers eh? ......god luv em

It does take a while, but I'm not busy lol.

Started the efe on Saturday, another coat of primer filler, then a sand with600, then the joyful task of masking .

Its not easy getting both sides the exact same, and I'm a bit OCD about it, so it generally takes loads of measuring, lots of small bits of fineline, to mark lines , more measuring, , marking guidelines etc

Anyway ive done 3 coats of silver metallic base, yesterday, and altho it looks shitty grey in the pics, its actually bright silver in real life ha ha. So today the masking got done, and the first 2 coats of the darker blue went on. It looks smart with 2 coats,, but needs to be darker so it will get another. Then a small sprinkling of silver over the blue  from a distance, to increase the metallic effect - well that's the plan, it might turn out shit, but nothing ventured and all that.

Heres some pics of progress so far . Tank pics show after 1 coat then after 2,  it will be darker after 3, will see. 

Fucking compressor keeps eating plug fuses, I think its down to the wiring in the garage sockets, or the fact that the compressor pulls 11 amps and the plug has a 13 amp fuse, , as it seems to depend on which point the compressor cuts off, whether it stars up again or not, bloody annoying, but oive a pack of 10 fuses and want to just get this done, so it will have to wait.

efe tank3.jpg

efepanel2.jpg

efestuffsil.jpg

efetank1.jpg

efetank4.jpg

• Like 5

Wish I had the patience , just picked up a cheap slingy with orrible yellow paint and residue of reckless stickers , sanded in the bath , rinsed in the shower and sprayed in the kitchen , missus could still smell it on Saturday when she came round, me and the cat must be nose blind lol .still looks orrible but satin black :)

• Like 1

well i was plodding along. with this and got as far as the Crystal stage.

I tried to do them  times yesterday, but the crystal looked crap, little bitty crystals.

The pattern you get depends on temperature and humidity, but even trying putting the stuff in front of the radiator didn't help. 

After attempt number 3 (which of course looked worse than attempt number 1, I thought, fuck it it'll do, so sprayed the coat over it.

Another disaster, I had over thinned the top coat a bit, but  it was looking alright ish.

Second top coat I added more in thinned paint, and it looked better, so today I started skotching off the top coat , and , yep, I was right , it does look shit. Arghhhhhhh.

It would probably be ok, but I'm a bit fussy about these things, and it would have annoyed me if I left it.

Anyway, this morning I'm sanding it all back and starting again, with a fresh coat of silver, then ive got a little bit more crystal mask, so it will hopefully work out next time. nothing is ever easy in my garage.

Bloody paint

Now I know why painters charge so much

Edited by baldrick

Try not to laugh, I know it looks shite.

This was after 4 attempts at the crystal mask, and ive decided to sand the whole bloody thing back and start again..

I'm not happy with most of it, to be honest, but its only when the fineline comes off that I can see how crap the line work is and how the 2 blues on the tank should have been wider, and.....well I could go on, but heres a pic for you to all laugh at.

At least the darkest blue looks okefetankdis2.jpg.d073872ceb722ee386f6a088766566fa.jpgefetankdis1.thumb.jpg.af9e3e745366f2b095965f5a80219642.jpg

crystal mask is in the bin, thrown there with vengeance.

Next week, 

how to paint your bike matt black, from rattle cans

• Like 5
3 hours ago, nlovien said:

Scotland + got a great attitude with bikes + yi can paint - - gets a triple :tu fae me - where in Scotland are you

ps no laughing - got a lot of respect for those who give it a go - good on yi, even if its half baked its still better than a cheque book charlie

I'm not far from Elgin, In Moray nlovien.

I'm no cheque book Charlie, id need to have money for that ha ha. I just looked at the cost of a proper paint job (about a grand) and thought, I could get a compressor, spray guns, sanders, paint, primers etc etc for much less than that and spray a load of bikes.

PLus it gives me something to do. I'm signed off work due to a fucked knee and get bored looking out the window all day, but I cant walk about for long, so little trips to the shed to do a coat or two works out fine.

I will just use this as a bit of practice, might try and keep the darkest blue and work around the rest with the sander.

One thing for sure, this painting is teaching me a lot about patience, and how I don't have as much as I should, its kinda like zen, but smellier.

Thanks for the kind words madb, but its not good enough for me I'm afraid. I'm a fussy bugger,. but its the first time ive used the smaller fineline, but it still looks a bit thick. its all an experience I suppose, just a bit hacked off about wasting all that time on something which didn't turn out like I had hoped.

Never mind, it gives me a chance to hopefully improve on it.

3 hours ago, nlovien said:

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 1
On 25-2-2018 at 1:06 PM, baldrick said:

ive decided to go back to the start with this,

it looked way to ghay for an EFE anyway,  with the poofy light blue colour,  it needs more black I think

so todays entertainment is sanding it all back,................................................ I cant wait (this is sarcasm)

You could always sell it to Disney... Frozen movie inspired EFE .....:P

• Like 1