Best rear wheel size?

Swiss Toni

I might try it with a 4.5" first. I can go up to a 160 on it, right? Are 4.5" B6 etc the same spoke pattern as GSXR's? I did mock it up with 750WN running gear, a few years ago. Looked great! Unfortunately, it was sold to a guy who's Son was racing a Slabbie! See! You always need something after you've sold it!

50 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

I thought the 6's were curved & the 12 (which i have) are straight? Just quoting others when i needed a straight in my rear!

Rear I have is 4.5 and straight, Done a bit or research. Seems 1st gen bandit 600's are curved, 2nd gen are straight, probably the same rear wheel as Sv650

Edited by MeanBean49

ive fitted a 4.5 to my slabby 750 race bike plan is to take that to Cartagena in march for some practice so I will update then personally I wouldn't put anything bigger on 750 engine gsxr

it will make it very slow for angle changes and the steering angles etc is pretty old fashioned on slabbys and 160 fits nicely

IMG_1299.JPG

• Like 5

I've been running 180/33 or 180/60 on Slabby Racer 1 and 2 (750s) but I'm converting them to 4.5 inch and 160/60 or 170/60.  2 reasons, first it will help with turn in as the 180 does tent to be a bit reluctant, and secondly it wil free up 2 rears for SuperSlabbyRacer 11 in the process of being created.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

Using something lighter than Suzuki slingshot wheels, which weigh as much as Jupiter's moons, has at lease as much affect getting the bike lent over as going for the narrower rear wheel.

But you could say that about the rider too (certainly in my case)

and the slingshot swap is very easy lot more work matching bearings spindles spacers etc with modern wheels

23 minutes ago, Rene EFE said:

I've got a 5.5, initially for the cool-factor. What also helps is the much greater availability of 180-scrubs vs 160's

Seems like an obvious point to make - what size tyres do you want /is it possible to use? 4.5 and it's 160; 5.5 170 (if available now?) and 180; 6 180 and 190

35 minutes ago, banoffee said:

You will likely need to modify the torque arm to clear a 180. I originally bent mine however it cracked in use so had it welded in the end.

I've got a modified one in the box I got off CiderJoe years ago (y)

4 minutes ago, Nik said:

I have 4.5"/160 on two slabbies (7/11s) and 5.5"/180 on two slabbies (7/11s). The 5.5" looks better but the 4.5" handles better and is more fun to run.

I'll try the 4.5" first. Seems to be a lot of you prefer them! See what happens.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎07 at 5:37 PM, Swiss Toni said:

All the lads & lasses who've went bigger than std. on the rear of 750 Slabbie's. I'd like to know the pro's & cons for fitting a 5.5" wheel over a 4.5", and vice versa. 

I would echo the considerations brought forward by MeanBean and Canamant re: handling. If you do decide to go to a bigger tire profile, handling characteristics will change. This can also depend to a certain extend on the tire brand you select.  I'm partial to the 180/55 feel (track and street). Then again I don't run a high hp turbo monster as others on here do.

146-0302-tire5-01-zoom.jpg.ae77bdc2b88363ef317c1e308bb02e54.jpg