another fork option?

riversbikes

Hey all, doing some research -- looking at a fork/front end swap option that might be more plentiful than the increasingly rare gsx1100 option.  What I know:

All balls has a bearing kit to swap in a 2002 zx9R front end for a bandit 1200.

zx9r forks are 770mm long (same as the bandit)

front wheel would be needed, but spoke profile is quite similar (so it looks nice/the same as the rear...?_)

46mm RWU forks -- maintains the retro look but fully adjustable (comp, rebound,preload)  Likely stiffer than the 43mm bandits as well.

not sure about weight, but as is is 10 years newer than the proper gsxr1100 forks as well

What I don't know 

Steering stem length -- bearings might work but if the zx9r stem is too short, and the bandit one can't be pressed in, you are looking at custom yokes or...?

I am sure the front wheel, axle, rotors, and calipers would all be needed due to axle diameters, rotor offset, etc -- doubtful the bandit stuff would swap over.

Speedo drive (likely no chance of working)

An intriguing option nonetheless.  Further the zx1200 triples might work, as the stem for those might need to be longer than the zx9r (who knows)

A quick troll of Eblag shows many more options and far cheaper than the say what now!? forks (as of right now)

Thoughts?

Several KTM large capacity models use WP forks that can be had for about 60% of the cost of Ohlins. The ones I have are longer than the GSXR1100K RWU forks that came with the bike. You can get radial and non-radial depending on what model they were fitted to originally.

Ok... this is a ZX6R front end, as I wrote it's slightly shorter, and I seem to recall something like slightly smaller brake discs as well. If you buy a 9 front end make sure you get the matching wheel and discs.

Steering stem length is 240mm from top of thread to baring face on bottom yoke.

When I fitted the front end in my EFE I had to reduce the diameter a bit, because I could not find the bearings I needed. But you say All Balls has got that covered now so that's solved. My stem is now 30mm.

Front wheel spindle is 25mm diameter, 122mm long between bearing faces on the spacers. The spacers are 19mm long (each), you might be able to make a speedo drive from an older model Kwak work on this front end. Front disc spacing (outside to outside) is 141mm.

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

Thanks cap == from what I can tell /have seen online, the bandit stem is 280mm -- a whopping 40mm longer.  I guess I could look at pressing out stems, but I was hoping this could be done with a simple bearing swap.  If I'm pressing out stems, I might as well wait for a gsxr set to come up so I can still use my perfectly good front wheel, rotors, etc.  You saved me a ton of hassle!

I have t595 forks in my bandit, if your using clip ons you'd be ok but if you want risers you'll either need a custom yoke,t509 top yoke or have to mod the risers to suit the angles on the Daytona top yoke. The forks needed extending by 50mm as the headstock is longer on a bandit thus not giving much fork travel. Yes you gain 320mm discs but you also gain 83mm centred nissin calipers which have triumph branded on them until you linished it off. But there isn't a common replacement or upgrade unless you use pretech calipers which are £312 each

image.jpeg

^This. Brakes wise.

I've got a 955 yoke set happy in a Boiler, drops straight in, but fork length is a minor/horrible issue. 

I can grab 3mm by machining off the topnut and using a GSX shim style top bearing seal.

This gets me absolutely flush on the forks in the yokes and will dictate how the bike will work.

Now what I think this means is that the bike is going to be 5mm lower than it could be, minimum.

I can get it steering on the rear and the tyres, but think it's going to be compromised on lean angle.

Road use and my abilities +/ok.

Track weapon and some of the idiots that I know, 

severely compromised. :(