Air Shifter for Efe

Sheep

Okay, I have just fitted the new Talon sprocket and heavy duty chain and custom dog-bones to the EFE ready for when it gets warm enough outside (I'm no fair weather rider,it's just trying to go to the loo after a ride is damn near impossible) although I still need to get the carb rubbers replaced before I get it back on the road.

Anyhow,my friend and I were talking about the merits of air shifters on bikes.He is slowly getting more involved in vintage drag racing and I often tag along to watch or have a go myself.He is trying to twist my arm saying I should get an airshifter as it would improve times and look/sound pretty trick...(along with the 1230 MTC kit and Rs Mikuni's) The thing is I know he is right in saying it can improve times but while I would love to get a little quicker on the strip I have to justify the expense of such a kit....This is a street bike firstly and a tack bike second.I am always on a budget unfortunately.

Have any of you guys used these?...are they worthwhile seeing as I would only use it from time to time?....I have looked into it and I have seen the likes of Pingle,MPS etc and they do have a 'starter/universal' kit but do these come with an ignition kill,I am unsure.

I am a sucker for trick bits but to be truthful I do need to perfect one or two other little areas first on the bike.

Any thoughts.Pro and cons.

Hmmmm - Air shifters are best left for the strip as obviously the air supply is limited unless carrying a compressor (and who wants extra weight and electrical load?)

Personally i'd go for a good 'Quick Shifter' - ie clutchless WOT foot change. They are fractionally slower than an airshifter but don't run out of air, and can still be used on the road at less than max attack speeds. I've used both and even had a Nitrous shifter system when I used Gas on the road bike - but prefer the Quick shifter on the road.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Hmmmm - Air shifters are best left for the strip as obviously the air supply is limited unless carrying a compressor (and who wants extra weight and electrical load?)

Personally i'd go for a good 'Quick Shifter' - ie clutchless WOT foot change. They are fractionally slower than an airshifter but don't run out of air, and can still be used on the road at less than max attack speeds. I've used both and even had a Nitrous shifter system when I used Gas on the road bike - but prefer the Quick shifter on the road.

Latest Co2 / nitrous filled bottles will last for about 300 - 400 shifts. 

Only thing you need beside a regular air/co2 shifter is a killbox which kills the ignition (MPS for example).

I have been reading a lot about these quickshift/air shifter debates recently...it seems when installed correctly the air type should work well although you do have the extra weight/size of a bottle although these seem to be quicker to shift ,however,a quickshifter does seem to be favoured by the street peeps too.....hmmmm