B12 Cam caps

davecara

4 hours ago, clivegto said:

As said plastiguage them if to tight you can use grinding past to rub them in. Take the follwers out use a boot lase round the cam to spin it. A bloke from big CC told me how to do this. I have done this & it worked.

It’s a very bare head I’ve picked up cheap, for what it’ll cost for cars, valves and rockers etc I’ll be better getting a complete head I reckon. 

Advice duly noted for future reference though(y) 

This ‘1216 for cheap’ idea is going to go VERY wrong I can feel itxD

• Like 1

I was given a dot head once with 2 missing, I also had one with smashed valves and combustion chamber, so had nothing to loose, I used the caps from the other head and the cam when torqued down was very tight, I did as in clives comment, took the followers out and used the finest grinding paste I could find and span them until the cams spun easily. checked with plastiguage and it was fine, it was fitted to a b12 years ago and it went like fek.:Dand as far as I know still going.

I guess I was just  lucky:tu

11 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

I was given a dot head once with 2 missing, I also had one with smashed valves and combustion chamber, so had nothing to loose, I used the caps from the other head and the cam when torqued down was very tight, I did as in clives comment, took the followers out and used the finest grinding paste I could find and span them until the cams spun easily. checked with plastiguage and it was fine, it was fitted to a b12 years ago and it went like fek.:Dand as far as I know still going.

I guess I was just  lucky:tu

Ive done the same a few times. Never had a problem. Issue is if they are tight and you dont correct it

27 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If you're in the market for another head, why stuck to B12? Go for a Dot head?

I’ll be strapping a turbo to it in time so a dot would be a waste really, plus I’ve got a B12 crank so i’ll need cams to match.

If you’re giving one away though i’ll Take it off your hands! 

2 hours ago, davecara said:

I’ll be strapping a turbo to it in time so a dot would be a waste really, plus I’ve got a B12 crank so i’ll need cams to match.

If you’re giving one away though i’ll Take it off your hands! 

You can just swap the bandit and dot head cam sprockets over if you go down the dot head route.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, davecara said:

Ah ok, didn’t know the cam covers were different! I’ve got B12 cases/crank/rods 1127 barrels, 1216 pistons and that’s my lot so far so nothing set in stone! 

Or just the bit out f the b12 cam cover that the cam chain runs aginst. Drill 2 holes in a 1127 cam cover job sorted.

• Like 1