Mounting green dyna coils on a slabby

Hello, as above I'm planning to use a set of green dyna coils I have for the slabby.

I've used the airbox  space under the tank for my battery and the standard mountig configuration behing the headstock looks like it will foul the bottom of the tank.

I'm looking for pictures of alternative orientation and mounting   configuration in and around the original position, that doesn't foul the tank. 

Came across these brackets on Google which I assume allow the coils to be tightly grouped side by side behind the headstock but I couldn't find any pics of them in use. 

Anybody got any tried and tested suggestions?

tbS0Z8al.jpg

Mine has a modified tank instead.

Was always going to remove the fuel level sender (bike is JDM with 3-clock dash originally) so did the necessary coil clearance at the same time.

I wasn’t sure about airbox or no airbox at the time so that was how I went to allow both options. In hindsight now that it runs really well after much carb fettling so definitely no airbox, I’d probably do it differently so no tank mod was required. It would then be easier to fit another tank later etc.

Mind you, I did use the airbox space for something else in the end :). One of these days I should make some brackets to lose those cable ties though.

17FAD79B-D871-42F7-9DC7-368BE2209C61.jpeg

• Like 1

I mocked up a couple of brackets out of some aluminium plate and I have been able to mount them vertically side by side. They clear the tank and clear the rocker.  

Unfortunately the only sheet I had left had a few holes in the wrong places.

These drawings must be for the 750 BTW because the centres where in the wrong places for my 11 frame.

20180128_144622.jpg

20180128_144636.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My coils are mounted above the carbs, and 1. in the original coil mounting near the head stock.

Picture 1 shows the bracket made to mount the coil above the carb - this bracket was made of cheese, so later I made a stainless one that didn't tear under vibration..

Picture 2 shows the coil above the carb (I don''t have flatslide carbs on mine, not sure what height difference there is between them and the CVs I use)

Picture 3 shows the mounting point for my above carb coil - I shared it with the point used by the right hand bracket that holds the airbox in place

Picture 4 shows the coil mounted in the headstock area using 2 of the original mounting points with a bracket made up on each side.

20140511_193821.jpg

20140511_195645.jpg

20140511_195737.jpg

20140913_000955.jpg

Edited by wsn03
  • Like 1

A mate of mine fitted green Dynas to his 750 Slabby in the standard position, which was all fine and dandy until the interference fit with the underside of the tank rattled and cracked one of the HT lead towers, after which the bike started misfiring under load... this was the coil arcing out on the base of the tank, which was slowly spark-eroding its way through the steel... It was only when he took it to Specials in Stoke (actually, I took it for him) when Stuart saw the knackered coil and repaired it with epoxy... his quote was "That bike was a time bomb..."

• Like 3