Project; Whizzy Pop Slingshot

Got over my little tantrum and decided I really need to look at the bike.

So I disconnected the breather from the wastegate and cleaned the turbo and exhaust out. No oil in the up pipe at all so its definitely coming from the turbo.

Ran it up and its still a bit lumpy at low rpm but it runs. Oil pissed out the exhaust again.

Checked the restrictor and its .75mm so thats fine, had a feeling I took it out to 1mm but obviously didn't.

Took the filler cap off and put a bit of hose in it, cleaned the exhaust again and ran it, a lot less smoke and no oil out the turbo.

I've got the bits to get a dash 10 breather on the clutch cover so I've got the hole drilled and the fitting ready to weld, just need some more cleaner to get the oil off.

• Like 1

Cheers, looking forward to it finished and some nice weather.

Dropped it back yesterday, its all good. Will be fully mapped and finished with everything mounted correctly etc.

Just hope that breather has sorted the turbo problem and it doesn't come back at higher rpm.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

At least I'm helping your day Kid! You could always catch up on the old site if you wanted and hour out...

Still making progress Ash, John messaged me the other day, mapping continued without fault, little smoke but nothing bad.

Gone for 12psi boost pressure, think that'll do nicely.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Small update, bike is running well with just some final full throttle mapping to do.

However, the voltage is dropping to 10v whilst running. John has double checked the wiring over and is sure it the alternator.

Its a problem as the fuel pump slows when the voltage drops causing it to go lean.

I've pulled the alternator off the other gsxr and its currently on its way to him.

Just another small annoying problem.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Update time again!

List of failed parts over the last few weeks are

Alternator

MAP sensor

Boost control bleed valve

Not looking forward to the bill!

It is running and fully mapped now though so close to bringing it back home.

Intake temps are high at 65 degrees but guess thats a draw through setup.

Running around 170bhp with 100ft/lbs torque @ 12 psi boost.

I think there's more to be had but I need to bring the intake temps down a bit.

I'll bring it back and get it on the road, get a few miles on it and finish the water injection and air shifter.

Hopefully some fun miles ahead!

• Like 1

Fried the alternator on my 1100W blow through EFI turbo setup. Discovered that the stock alternator is not up to the task for sustained low rpm's. Adapted a 40 amp alternator from a Triumph . . . charging problems solved :) 170 bhp/100 ft.lbs . . . I can get that out of 1145 normally aspirated, so something is definitely wrong with your setup.

2 hours ago, wombat258 said:

Fried the alternator on my 1100W blow through EFI turbo setup. Discovered that the stock alternator is not up to the task for sustained low rpm's. Adapted a 40 amp alternator from a Triumph . . . charging problems solved :) 170 bhp/100 ft.lbs . . . I can get that out of 1145 normally aspirated, so something is definitely wrong with your setup.

Thats what I'm thinking, I have one with oversized high comp pistons thats at 145bhp so I was expecting more but its a start I guess and its running sweet so could be a lot worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, bike is now home but its not all good news (story of this bike)

Wiring and ecu install is done, mapping is done and highest power run was 180bhp. Quick shifter is fitted and working so no clutch needed above 4k rpm.

Starts on the button from cold, hot, warm etc.

Clutch cover breathers are welded in nicely.

Now the not so good news. Turbos fucked.

Got some serious play in the exhaust wheel, not touched the housing yet but theres a cleaner line in the carbon where it runs so its close!

Could be a reason for a few lost horses and probably won't help the running too much.

Will be having a chat with Owen Developments tomorrow and see about getting it rebuilt to suit the bike. 

I don't know what spec it was built for but compressor wheels suited to the bike should make the most of it.

The ecu loom is stand alone so my original loom now has a few redundant wires, will pull that apart and slim it down now as its only doing lights etc.

Stu has a long wait for milling so going to see if I can pull in a favour from a mate and get some clip ons made up quicker.

• Like 2

Thanks, been a long road but the end is in sight.

Turbo is in the post, getting a report which should shed some light on why it failed then hopefully the parts are still available for a rebuild.

Loom is out and covering off, just a couple of bits to tidy up then it can get re-wrapped and go back on.

• Like 3