Bandit Head Cooler Help!!

Won't fit at front anywhere,  won't fit under engine near shock, no room under back seat, only other place is where Lee has his on his yoshi 1340 gsxr where the reg plate is but it'd be headache routing hose plus exhaust is under seat. 

I'm regretting going bigger engine and wish I'd of gone turbo route instead now, easier and probably cheaper lol. 

23 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Yep. Whatever you do results in more heat. You would still need to upgrade cooling if you want to use a turbo bike for more than pub points

Your right, I've just got to a stage where I solve a problem and create another and this cooling problem is stressing me out, I will sort it though (and probably create another problem lol)

Cheers for all the input everyone has given and I do appreciate it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dupersunc said:

I'd definitely duct some cool air to the cooler. 

Wouldn't be my choice of position  personally.

Sort of agree with that - its a low pressure area and airflow is a bit strange hence why open carbs work peculiar. Personally I'd up the main cooler size and maybe change the oil more frequently?

• Like 3
10 hours ago, 1340banditpaul said:

Your right, I've just got to a stage where I solve a problem and create another and this cooling problem is stressing me out, I will sort it though (and probably create another problem lol)

Cheers for all the input everyone has given and I do appreciate it.

Ii ssuppose with a turbo, riding off boost the motor actually generates less heat than n/a. A big bore and high comp motor just makes more heat all the time.

Even if you didnt have any ducting cooler behind carbs would be an improvement, just not as much as with good airflow to it.

• 5 weeks later...

What state of tune is the engine ?   and what use is the bike going to have - this will decide what extra cooling you'll need. A naked is always going to run cooler than a faired bike - you could piggy-back the coolers in the std position if there's room. Taking out a bit of ignition advance will make it run cooler too.  Dunno, just thinking out loud :)

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, Oilyspanner said:

What state of tune is the engine ?   and what use is the bike going to have - this will decide what extra cooling you'll need. A naked is always going to run cooler than a faired bike - you could piggy-back the coolers in the std position if there's room. Taking out a bit of ignition advance will make it run cooler too.  Dunno, just thinking out loud :)

I have a 1216 High compression .. just going through this myself. Just bought a 19 row earls. If that is not enough, I thought perhaps the 13 row original might fit in front of the 19 as an option. First step is to see if the 19 row works I guess. I also assume if you run fully synth, then the oil will last longer over mineral and semi. 

The following is mineral oil failure at temperature over mileage - semi is better, and full synth is better still. Reading between the lines, oil (mineral, works well enough)  up to 250F (120C) - you could expect significant oxidation by 2000 miles at 120C! Above that temperature then it degrades very quickly. So fit a temperature gauge,.

heatchrt.jpg.d2839f030db857f78fb82bfa4d879017.jpg

Edited by Solcambs

The reason I run a head cooler has nothing to do with oil life.  It's all down to power.  These engines use oil to cool the combustion chamber. cooler cylinder head the more compression and advance you can get away with.  

Even on my stock motor I see gains from the reduced heat soak around the inlets giving me a denser air fuel mix and more power.

Looking at the bike, if a head cooler is necessary then something else on the bike is going to need to be modified to allow this to happen. Either using a different headlight set up to allow for a cooler up front or using a conventional exhaust so an underseat cooler can be used could be the way to go here, but the seat unit may have to be changed too as it looks fairly small. As an alternative, maybe 2 coolers mounted longditudally, one either side of the bike, would work. Like the radiators on a Gurls blouse SP2 or some of the aftermarket Yoshimura coolers for GSXRs that went under the fairing.

1 hour ago, bluedog59 said:

You could free up some space for a cooler by ditching the huge breather catch tank.

Even if I removed the catch tank and relocated it somewhere else or put a smaller 1 on, with already having an extra wide cooler fitted, putting a head cooler on the side of the extra wide cooler it would stick out too far.