Gsf 400 starting issues

Few years ago we bought a little bandit for my wife. It was quite badly keeped so it was a cheap buy. Cheap indeed, airbox cover was missing, every bearing was fucked and there was very badly made "modifications" here and there.

Started to overhaul it last year and did the worst faults first. One very odd and annoying is still there. It is very hard to start when the engine is cold.

Done so far: 

New plugs

New coils

Ultrasonic clean for the carbs

New seals and misc parts for the carbs

Relay mod for the coils

Stock setup for the carbs

Fuel tap checked

Compression tested the cylinders

Valve clearances

Spark is very strong and plugs are wet after cranking. It starts if I jump start it and after it is warm it starts right away. Any ideas what to check next?

Yes, float assembly is completely plastic. Have to check if there is a jet. Did not notice them when they were open earlier.

They are indeed very nice bikes. Even with so little power you could have such fun time especially in the cities.

Edited by homer

There's a small o ring that holds float plastic cage/  inside carb body too, myn were so loose they fell off when turned over, If hard startin cold the slow running circuit is to blame usually, so floats, pilot jets air correctors, and mixture screw settings. 

Edited by Fula28

I'm having a similar issue with hard starting.   I think my float valve isn't sealing,  cos gas drips from overflow, that is flooding it at startup. That's my theory. 

Good info to check jets and o rings on float plastic cage thingy. 

Is your overflow pipe visible or pointing at the rear tyre like mine was... 

Edited by richyrich
Safety ha
  • 4 months later...