Help with flat side tuning

Portaz13

23 hours ago, Portaz13 said:

Cables are not yet connected however where they were holding throttle shut on either the carbie or the throttle did lower the revs. Can the return spring be adjusted? 

should be, have a close look at the spring on the shaft  - you'll see a choice of pegs on the alloy casting for the spring end loop to fit over

OK so now it idles and runs pretty good,  pulls hard just needs a few on road pump adjustments but every time I gave it a bit of throttle when I stopped the idle was high. I adjusted it 5 or 6 times,  it came back to 1500 now probs with idle screw. So I'm thinking it it possible that idle screw is moving when I'm on the throttle?  I can see how it would even run with probably a total number of 6 turns or so 

i'd be checking that when idle the throttle cam is 100% sure closing against the idle  stop - not hanging on the cable

also - my previous comment ref: ilde screws was misleading - on these carbs the idle adjustment screws are kinda like a mini throttle - they are not mixture adjustment screws like on some other carbs - they adjust how much of the mixture goes in -- sooo if your say at 3/4 turn adjustment close it down further - say down to 1/4 turn only - ok it will not idle, so now open the throttle cam via the main idle adjustment screw = basically your changing the relationship between idle jet and throttle cam - see if this helps - and try it the other way i.e. more idle adjustment screw / less throttle cam but always ensuring the cam does stop against the - stop

another thing to check - if you've got filters fitted make sure nothing is blocking the idle air jets at the mouth of a carb venturi

edit: just had a play with this - if you find you've got a stumble just as you pick up throttle then you've wound the idle screws in too far - on my AFR gauge it idles nice at almost bang on 14 but if you then open the throttle it goes to 20+ = open the idle screws up

Edited by nlovien
had a play
6 hours ago, nlovien said:

i'd be checking that when idle the throttle cam is 100% sure closing against the idle  stop - not hanging on the cable

also - my previous comment ref: ilde screws was misleading - on these carbs the idle adjustment screws are kinda like a mini throttle - they are not mixture adjustment screws like on some other carbs - they adjust how much of the mixture goes in -- sooo if your say at 3/4 turn adjustment close it down further - say down to 1/4 turn only - ok it will not idle, so now open the throttle cam via the main idle adjustment screw = basically your changing the relationship between idle jet and throttle cam - see if this helps - and try it the other way i.e. more idle adjustment screw / less throttle cam but always ensuring the cam does stop against the - stop

another thing to check - if you've got filters fitted make sure nothing is blocking the idle air jets at the mouth of a carb venturi

edit: just had a play with this - if you find you've got a stumble just as you pick up throttle then you've wound the idle screws in too far - on my AFR gauge it idles nice at almost bang on 14 but if you then open the throttle it goes to 20+ = open the idle screws up

I will pull the tank off again and check the Cam is returning OK,  I just can't see why I would need to continually adjust idle. Regardless though definitely making progress