GSX1100 E?

Dool09

Hello,

I'm new to the site and I'm hoping some of you well informaed people can help me with some info. I recently received a project bike that had been given up on. The previous owner builds custom Harley's and decided this wasn't for him. He told me the bike was running before he started and let me have it for nothing. I'll list the story of the current state and then my questions.

He's a pro bike builder but here's the catch...he knows nothing about a motorbike other than HD's and has made a pigs ear of this so far. The engine is intact but he removed all the covers (for blasting and coating apparently) and didn't label a single bolt! the cams have some slight surface where they have been sitting but I think (hope) it's all OK. I can crank the engine using a wrench.

The frame has been chopped and looped for a cafe seat, but its badly welded and has been drilled for a cafe seat by a one eyed drunken chimp standing one legged on a wobbly stool! or at least that's how it looks.

The forks are pitted badly and need a complete overhaul and new sanctions.

There are no clocks, no seat, no lights, no gear lever selector, no rear brake pedal and no wiring loom, but hey! it was for free!

I've been scratching my head wondering what to do with it, I think I want to try and do a resto mod on it (close to original looks with some improvements). I've been scouring Eblag for another donor bike but they seem to be worth quite a bit,. There are some parts out there on Eblag and on CMSNL but here is my biggest problem, I don't know what I have! the V5 says its from 1983 and its original colour is black but a small amount of research suggests the silver coloured engine is from 1980-82. I think the tank is wrong too.

I'll attach some pictures so you can see what I'm working with, my questions are:

Can you help me with the model? E? ET? a frankenstien of parts bins?

Apart from Eblag/ CMSNL where can I get parts?

I've read some things about GSXR (all) and Bandit 1200 front ends and swing arms fitting fairly easily, has anyone got a conversion guide or similar?

Anything I should know before trying this build? I'm fairly green. I have a 60's Norton that I service and keep running but otherwise inexperienced in mechanics, only positive is I can MIG weld and read a Haynes manual like a demon!

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

20171216_132022.jpg

20171216_132100.jpg

20171216_131946.jpg

20171216_131952.jpg

20171216_131957.jpg

20171216_132004.jpg

20171216_132011.jpg

Looks ET to me, deffo an ET tank at least.

B12 swinger goes in with top hat spacers, plenty of folk on here can make then for you. If your staying twin shock then you'll need mounts welded to the arm; again load of folk on here can point you the right way

B12 front ends go right in but you'll need to swap steering stems iirc as the B12 is quite long.

You'' find all the bits you need here! Keep the pics coming! Once you suss out exactly what model it is, id suggest asking about for either a scrap frame or an imported frame that would be ballache to get on the road (no NOVA docs etc) and chop the arse off that and blue glue onto yours (y)

5 minutes ago, davecara said:

Looks ET to me, deffo an ET tank at least.

B12 swinger goes in with top hat spacers, plenty of folk on here can make then for you. If your staying twin shock then you'll need mounts welded to the arm; again load of folk on here can point you the right way

B12 front ends go right in but you'll need to swap steering stems iirc as the B12 is quite long.

You'' find all the bits you need here! Keep the pics coming! Once you suss out exactly what model it is, id suggest asking about for either a scrap frame or an imported frame that would be ballache to get on the road (no NOVA docs etc) and chop the arse off that and blue glue onto yours (y)

Thank mate, appreacite the help.

welcome to OSS.info

before you make any rash decisions take a bit of time out and read through some of the threads in our awesome projects section, you'll find a lot of info that'll help smooth out those nasty rashes.....

.....also take 5 to RTFR, as they're informative, amusing and active.

kool start to OSS.....looks like an et

you gotta' love them pro bike builders

6 minutes ago, vizman said:

welcome to OSS.info

before you make any rash decisions take a bit of time out and read through some of the threads in our awesome projects section, you'll find a lot of info that'll help smooth out those nasty rashes.....

.....also take 5 to RTFR, as they're informative, amusing and active.

kool start to OSS.....looks like an et

you gotta' love them pro bike builders

Will do, thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, Fazz711 said:

Hi bud. Welcome to OSS. Get to 50 posts and you can see the projects forum. Also the for sale and wanted sections open (y)

Thanks mate, I was a little hasty with my post by the looks of it, I'm new to forums so currently looking through other threads for answers. Will be good to see the Projects and for sale/wanted section. That will be a big help.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dool09 said:

Thanks mate, I was a little hasty with my post by the looks of it

Nah.....just excited, as would we all be after been gifted a mighty air cooled donk(y)

seriously, hang around, by the time you've hit 50 posts it'll be too late.....the air cooled pusher man will have his grip on you.....god damb the pusher man

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, davecara said:

i'm sure he said he has a v5

Welcome. It looks like an ET to me. What's the engine number if it starts with GS11X it is.

If you can weld that's half the battle. Here is a link to an article on bracing the frame. Not that it's neccessary for the standard motor.

A complete front end from swap often involves as little as a bearing swap and lock stops. In exchange  you'll get actual brakes, modern rubber and loose a fair bit of weight.

You can get up to a 160 tyre on a 17 wheel into the standard swing arm with a bit of spacer making and sprocket carrier skiming. The chain run and wheel alignment are all just a matter of spacers and light machining. So SV650 Bandit 6 etc are straight forward and offer a world of modern rubber. Otherwise for a 180 the B12 arm with twin shock mounts is popular.

You could always improve the front and back end and lash it up for the track. Great engines and it came free it wont matter if it gets dropped.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

Welcome. It looks like an ET to me. What's the engine number if it starts with GS11X it is.

If you can weld that's half the battle. Here is a link to an article on bracing the frame. Not that it's neccessary for the standard motor.

A complete front end from swap often involves as little as a bearing swap and lock stops. In exchange  you'll get actual brakes, modern rubber and loose a fair bit of weight.

You can get up to a 160 tyre on a 17 wheel into the standard swing arm with a bit of spacer making and sprocket carrier skiming. The chain run and wheel alignment are all just a matter of spacers and light machining. So SV650 Bandit 6 etc are straight forward and offer a world of modern rubber. Otherwise for a 180 the B12 arm with twin shock mounts is popular.

You could always improve the front and back end and lash it up for the track. Great engines and it came free it wont matter if it gets dropped.  

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Will take a look at the article too.

Thinking engine is ET (1980) or EX (1981)

As far a I remember,  mostly color and decals are changed. Nothing on the engine

There was something about the footrest... One being aluminum,  the other chromed pressed steel...  And the instruments - the " check panel " are different...  Or was that the difference between a 750 and the 1100. 

Pretty sure someone more experienced will teach us both soon.

Welcome to OSS 

Edited by Blubber
Words
  • Like 1

It depends on what you want really but as the pro builder ( snigger) has done what he has done you could just keep it simple. I hate everything  the CR ( can't even bring myself to spell it full) obsession stands for but these bikes are all about that engine. There would be no harm in keeping it clean and simple. It would avoid paying through the nose for original body work.

Do it in matt black though.

1980-Suzuki-GS-1100-Cafe-1100GK---Motorcycles-For-Sale-52284.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

It depends on what you want really but as the pro builder ( snigger) has done what he has done you could just keep it simple. I hate everything  the CR ( can't even bring myself to spell it full) obsession stands for but these bikes are all about that engine. There would be no harm in keeping it clean and simple. It would avoid paying through the nose for original body work.

Do it in matt black though.

1980-Suzuki-GS-1100-Cafe-1100GK---Motorcycles-For-Sale-52284.jpg

Very true and the same thing has crossed my mind. It's certainly easier than tracking down all original parts.

There was a great bike shop near me that built this GS750. If I was to go cafe I'd like to do something similar.

1403585_551256341634769_1972116562_o.jpg

Edited by Dool09
Toddler grade spelling