Slabby tank options?

My 1100 G had a flat tank. It was an 1100 tank with wider spacing between centres on the fuel tap mounts. The tap was in the correct position for the 1100 cross beam on the frame too. I have an 1100 humped tank now. Last year I used a 750 flat tank on the 1100 frame and fhe fuel tap position is a ball ache. It either fouls the oil feed bosses on the back of the head or it fouls the frame cross spar. I ended up running a a simple U- bend and an inline tap. 

So in short the 1100 had both flat and humped tanks. The tap mounting boss centres will tell you what you have. The 1100 is wider between centres 42mm or something like that and the 750 is 35mm or there abouts. 

For the 1100 frame get an 1100 tank if you can.

My experience, after dozens of slabbies through the years:

Slabbies had either the small/flat 5 gallon tank (as seen on R1guy's, banoffee's and Swiss Toni's photos above) or the taller 5.5 gallon tank (as seen on CockneyRick's photo above).

Many (most?) markets got the small tanks in 1985 AND 1986, on both 750s and 1100s, but some markets, e.g. the U.K.and the U.S. got the taller 5.5 gallon tank in 1986 (not sure if it was implemented from the beginning of the model year or if it changed during 1986).

Concerning fuel taps: 1985 tanks had a non-vacuum tap, with narrow spacing between the tap holes.1986 and 1987 tanks (750s and 1100s) all had vacuum taps (which were larger) with bigger spacing between the holes. Location of the vacuum taps may be different between 750s and 1100s.

Edited by Nik
  • Like 4