Looking for a smaller battery for the build?

Jpich85

I'm looking at getting the battery for my bike but really need to get as small as one as possible, I don't know much about battery but I'm guessing the ah and cca need to be the same, the one on my gsxr 750 1990 is massive compared to the one on my gsxr 750 1992 wn, I've read that some people have used small r6 batteries.

i wanted to ask is anyone know of a smaller battery that will be ok in my gsxr 750 1990, I want to get a gel one if possible? Cheers

1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

If it'll start a zx10r I don't see why it would struggle with a gsxr750.

Apart from near 20 years development of lightening / shaving of rotating parts - makes a difference.

To OP - the Ah rating is the 'storage' capacity ie. a 10Ah battery will give out 10A for 1 hour. The CCA is the 'Cold Cranking Amps' and is the crucial number for kicking a cold, high compression engine over - more is generally better. Never tried a LiFePO4 type battery but they seem to be proving reliable in small packages.

• Like 1

https://shoraipower.com/battery-specifications

I'm on LFX18A1-BS12

My experience of BS12 from Endurance Racing means that I know that it has enough power to run a small moon for a while.

Will happily start a 1260 GSX a couple of times and run the Ignition as total loss for 2 hours.

Drop off means that at some point it will stop doing 12v output, but never seen it happen yet, would start to make the bike misfire, I think.

Recovery rate is about the same as output, If you have it on the bike for 2 hours losing charge it will take a trickle of about 1.5hr to get it back up.

Have not worked with JMT Li-Ion so can't give much feedback, but if it was plugged into an Alternator No reason why it would not be as good as something that weighs 3 times as much.

Edited by markfoggy

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it, I'm not to experienced with the technical side of batteries so want to choose the right one.

Would a lithium one and the lipo types still charge from the standard alternate? Are there any mods to the wiring loom that needs to be done?

In choosing a battery do I just need to get similar specs with the ah and cca? Would a lower spec still run the bike? Cheers

7 minutes ago, Jpich85 said:

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it, I'm not to experienced with the technical side of batteries so want to choose the right one.

Would a lithium one and the lipo types still charge from the standard alternate? Are there any mods to the wiring loom that needs to be done?

In choosing a battery do I just need to get similar specs with the ah and cca? Would a lower spec still run the bike? Cheers

I run JMT Lithium ion in all my bikes now. Had one for 6 years now. They're  direct swap, no mods to the bike other than modifying the battery tray, and they don't cost much more than a regular lead acid battery. 

I personally wouldn't use anything else now.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

I run JMT Lithium ion in all my bikes now. Had one for 6 years now. They're  direct swap, no mods to the bike other than modifying the battery tray, and they don't cost much more than a regular lead acid battery. 

that's good to know, they were one of the ones I was looking at 

2 hours ago, dupersunc said:

Happy new year!,  Anyways, @Jpich85, this is the one ya need, but i would search for a better price. hope this helps.

https://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR750-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Light-WeightSave-3kg-1990-1991/171599210623?hash=item27f41c287f:g:hDMAAOSwkNZUlEsa

it's about same dimentions but 3kg lighter. I don't know if the smaller yt9 version would be suitable for your model as the storage is smaller, ie, 12-14amps for your battery  as the yt9 only has 8 to 10 amps depending on who's spec ya checking, but i dare say someone may answer on that one.

Edited by Madb
because
  • Like 1

Ok, we may have a winner.

The brand new HJTX14H-FP-S1 that I have here has never been charged, is currently surplus to req.

Seems it is a recommended fitment for Busa/TL 1000/SV and will be happy as a replacement for Buells and Aprillia V twins, which suggests that it might be adequate for most bikes.

Apparently it weighs 1200g but I'm sure it's lighter than that.

@ Creg

PM me some details and I'll get it in the post to you (assuming that you don't live on the Island, most delivery services hand you some Rohypnol just before they tell you how much. :D).

I'm happy to contribute it to a race effort.

(y)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, the 14ah ones I've found are too big, I'm trying to fit it in the tail section which is quite small, if I have to use a 14ah one tho I will I'll try and fit it somewhere else, the 10ah battery sizes tho would be perfect I'm just worried that it won't power the bike correctly or be unreliable.

4 minutes ago, Jpich85 said:

Thanks for the info guys, the 14ah ones I've found are too big, I'm trying to fit it in the tail section which is quite small, if I have to use a 14ah one tho I will I'll try and fit it somewhere else, the 10ah battery sizes tho would be perfect I'm just worried that it won't power the bike correctly or be unreliable.

If the bike starts reliably ie fairly quickly and doesn't grind away, push after push, then a smaller battery will cope as the std alternator will keep up with 'normal running' discharge ie not using grip heaters and heated jackets with sat nav and phone charger plugged in. The regular R6 battery in the tail was a mod from 'back in the day' as it would lie flat!

^ this.

Hey, battery in your bike is designed to be suitable for the most Idiot owners. i.e. neglect it for 5 years.

New Tech battery manufacturers have their reputations stuck on the same thing. They ACTUALY want to be here in 10 years time.

All of the cells being built into Shorai/AntiGravity/JMT  and loads more is all about the box that they put them in.

They are just a plastic box with some batteries inside. 

Hey, you can build a perfect solution that will scatter individual LiPoFe cells all across the bike and they are tiny.

Ok, anybody wanna bet me if I can't build a battery inside the frame of a waterboiler?

Not done it, or seen it done, but you could probably run a race bike off a 20 year old Nokia for long enough to win a club race.

• Like 1

Thanks say what now!? 1460 that's gave me some hope, do you know if the r6 battery mod use to work ok? Wad the results good?

Cheers Mark, I did look into that bit may be to technical for me and I think I may struggle with a project like that for the bike, it's giving me a headache as it is and that might send me over the edge lol